Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

A weird reaction my daughter had to her snack

She was eating peanuts, black beans and grapes before bed about an hour ago. I was busy with the baby and she starts screaming that her face hurts. Right above her upper lip started turning red and puffing out a little.

Now she has been sick and currently has a runny nose. SO suggested the salt from the peanuts on raw irritated skin. Could that be it? Then I couldn't remember if I washed the grapes, so maybe pesticides?

She is 4. None of these foods are new. I am weirded out.

Answer Question
 
staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 38 (102,010 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • If you aren't sure if it is an allergic reaction or not you could give her some benadryl. I do know that you can develop a reaction even after taking/eating something many times before.

    I could also just be an irritated sore.
    tntmom1027

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I don't have benadryl in the house. She has peanut butter ALL the time. I hope a peanut allergy doesn't pop out of nowhere.
    staciandababy

    Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Doctors offices do have doctors on call for a reason, if you are not sure it never hurts to ask.
    We are not doctors after all.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I would just say keep an eye on her, as long as she isn't showing any other symptoms of allergic reaction I think you are fine.
    tntmom1027

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • She had a bit of apple juice too.

    Reading on grapes seems they are so pesticide laden that they are one of the worst foods you can buy....

    Could be a reaction to pesticides, yeast, sulfites or mold if it was the grape.

    I would have to see an allergist. Hundreds of dollars. Her airway is fine. It was just a small rash and puffy lip. Not rushing to the DR tonight.

    Guess it is on to googling the peanut.
    staciandababy

    Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I would bet on the salt from the peanuts. That can sting a lot if it gets into little open sores, and if your kiddo is a drama queen like mine, she knows how to play up the hysterics.
    Ballad

    Answer by Ballad at 2:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Yeah she wasn't happy but was genuinely in pain... I just cant find anything on if salt would cause swelling and rash aside from the pain. I feel a little sheepish making an appt with an allergist for something I have no idea exists or what she is allergic to, if anything. Ugh.
    staciandababy

    Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • You didn't have to rush to the doctor but calling them would not have hurt you. You were concerned enough to come here and chat about it, it would have taken you 2 minutes to make the call. I just don't get parents sometimes. Oh well, glad she didn't get any worse.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I think it might be the start of an allergy.
    My SIL could eat shellfish for most of her life, then one day she had it and her face swelled up, the next time it was even worse. You can give anything that would help a stuffy nose if this happens again, but if the reaction is severe you might want to take her to the doctor.
    If you washed the grapes, I doubt the pesticide was the problem.
    2kids2dogs2cats

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Could she have gotten a bit of the peanut under the edge of a tooth?
    Dardenella

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.