How would you react to this.....play at school

so my 8 year old dd was telling me that they were doing a play at school yesterday in the library that she was in a grave yard and someone had killed her and put a knife in her neck. She said it was a play they did in front of the class for halloween. Halloween or not I don't like it. Should I say something or just not worry about it?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Rather than immediately voicing displeasure, try asking the teacher to explain the educational value and the moral of the story. Then if it was intended as "entertainment only" she the teacher will be put on the spot of explaining why she thought something so educationally worthless was worth doing. Who knows maybe there is a moral to the story that your daughter missed.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• She couldn't give you a name or a plot to this play? Just this one action? Sounds more like something they came up with on their own, in which case your issue is with your daughter, not the school.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I normally have a, well, liberal view of things but DAMN!

So ... did they make this up or was it something already written?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I would get the teacher's side of things. Given the lack of tolerance for anything even remotely hinting at violence in schools these days, I'm really skeptical that this would be something the teacher or librarian would have arranged. It sounds more like something the kids came up with themselves, to me. If that's the case, then you just need to talk to your daughter and explain why you feel this is inappropriate and you don't want her to do it again.

If it does turn out to be something the teacher or librarian arranged, I'd ask for an explanation. If she really thinks this was acceptable, then I'd probably go over her head to the principal. If she can admit that maybe she didn't use the best judgment in planning this, then I'd just let her know that I wasn't happy about it and let it go at that.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• No no no! Super inappropriate! I'd definitely mention it, 8 is very young to rein act that.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 10:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I would ignore it & chalk it up to her fooling around when she should have been listening to her Teacher or The Librarian. I'm sure it didn't happen. If you call the Teacher you'll annoy her.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I would be super-surprised. (I truly think that is not something that would happen at our school.)

They do get spooky-ish for Halloween, as the middle school kids create their own "haunted house" for the younger kids to walk through. The elementary kids can opt out of going through the haunted house, and if they decide to participate they get consulted for whether they want the "not very scary" version versus "a little more scary." And there's close supervision of the whole thing.
    But it's all within an overall context that does not include horror.
    So yeah, I would be surprised, and curious. If my 9 year old reported something like what you heard from your child, I would inquire about the classroom play and take it from there.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:35 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• IMO no I would not say anything about it. It does not sound like it was a traumatic experience for anyone, just fun and it helps kids to stand up in front of others and remember their liens. It increases imagination.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I agree with Dardenella
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I bet it was something the kids came up with on the playground. I'm sure this is not a real play.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2013