It looks(well sounds) like my son has Croup.....advice?

He has developed that barking cough, and like I stated before he started out with no cough and just a "lost" voice. He spiked a higher fever overnight(highest was just over 101. He isn't have difficulty breathing except for when coughing(which I would say is moderate but no severe).

So I know moist air and fluids is key but is there anything else I can do to make him more comfortable?

I do not believe he needs to see the doctor right now but if it gets worse or doesn't start getting better then we will go in. He is nearly 6.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Take him in the bathroom and get a really hot steam going and let him breath it in.
    When my son was 1 he got croup and we took him to the ER and he had to have a steroid shot. If you decide to give him Tylenol or other fever suppressant write down the time and dosage so when/if you take him in you can let the dr. know what you give him and if it helped or not.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Pertussis is going around, I think I have already told you that. My kids are vaccinated but they did the test anyways.

My daughter has had a cough since September 27th and it is still here. Even after a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection. It very well could be croup. It SUCKS.

Only advice I have is put towels down as coughing makes them puke and avoid dairy products.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Yeah he is also all vaccinated. His fever broke now and I haven't given him any tylenol since 6 am when he woke up with a higher fever. He seems to be doing a bit better, going to do the shower deal and keep him hydrated.

I've been writing it all down as well as his symptoms and temps so I can track them better.

Thanks for all the advice, I haven't had to deal with much sickness with him(his my only child as well).
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• It could be Pertussis like Staci said or the beginning of pneumonia. I'd take him to the Dr. & let them listen to his lungs. Just to be on the safe side. My Son had pneumonia twice last winter & it started with a cold then hacking cough.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Has he had the whooping cough vaccine?

(barking cough)

You can heat honey and lemon juice slowly (equal parts) you can store in the refrigerator for about aweek-10 days, if you make extra. When he has been coughing and his throat is rough heat the syrup until it is good and warm and have him put it all in his mouth and hold it and allow it to trickle down the throat. This can sooth and help heal the actual tissues.

I am a fan of homemade chicken soup as well.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Yes he has had the whooping cough vaccine. There were some huge outbreaks in the area we moved from so we made sure to get him vaccinated for it.

I will try the honey and lemon.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• 101 isn't too bad. Hopefully it is just a cold or flu. Watch him mama.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I hope he little guy feels better soon. I'd probably visit the doc to his lungs heard, just in case. Pertussis is noting to mess around with, and neither is the croupe. I had croupe bad enough as a small child that I had to do time in an oxygen tent, and I still remember how much that sucked because I didn't understand why I had to be stuck inside what I thought of as that big zipper bag bed all by myself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• How is he feeling today?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:40 PM on Oct. 19, 2013