Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My Healthcare Question

My healthcare question: My kids do not qualify for CHIP because I make $60 to much per month. I do not qualify for a government sublimity because my employer offers insurance.
SO, in my divorce is stated that if and when the kids no longer qualify for CHIPS it is to be my ex husband that provided hearth insurance. BUT he is a deadbeat and has not paid child support nor has be seen the kids sense 2009.

SO, my question being if I opt our of health insurance - who pays the fine? Our divorce is a legal document that states he is responsible. AND the government says every American will have coverage SO, my ex should be found and be covered under some sort of heath insurance. Correct ???

I’m looking at feeding my kids or paying health insurance…
And as everyone is stating the private insurance rates will just continue to increase because of OBAMA care. My rant has nothing to do with who’s wrong or who’s right - I just want to be able to feed my kids. And not have an added fine - I’m the one stuck in the middle: I make to much money for government help but not enough to live comfortable. We do not have cable TV, We do not have trash pick-up service - those are each $70. We do not go to movies or out to eat, those would easily be $30 each outing.

No, I do not have six kids - I have two. I’ve been at my current job over 10 years. I’m not looking for a handout and proud that I do not receive them. I’m just trying to figure out how I’m going to deal with these new laws.

My kids had qualified for CHIPS up until now. I took a promotion at work and got a pay raise, which should be good, but it put us over the amount that CHIPS covers.
So, I would be better off to step back down and take the lesser paying job. I GUESS…
None of this makes any sense to me.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

Answers (12)
  • I didn't read your whole question but if you have sole custody & claim them on your taxes then you will be fined...."to my knowledge"... They take the money out of your tax return.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Or you could ask your boss if there is a way to reduce your pay by $60.

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • You will because you opted out. And because he is no where to be found. You can try to go after him for child support etc. But you really should have started doing that long before this.

    Answer by Dardenella at 1:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • We still have joint custody - So the legal document stating he is to provide health insurance means nothing now. I do claim them on my taxes, always have - I do provided over 50% of their care. Sense 2009, all of their care and support.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I have a case with the attorney generals office. BUT I'm told that sense I'm not on government assistance My child support case does not mater to them - they only worry about re-copping the money paid out to those on welfare.
    If i had money for an attorney, I wouldn't be in the situation -

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I guess, I could quit my job, I've had for 10 years and go work for min wage AND we can all be on the government payroll.

    Is there any incentive to do well in the country anymore?

    Then the stare would actively look for my ex to pay child support, no more trying to figure out how to pay for food, (food stamp benefits are way for them, I ever have to spend on food) - No more paying for health insurance for myself or the kids - everything will be free. I can actually go to the doctor ( I have health insurance but cannot afford to actually go)

    AWesome - I have a plan

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Your divorce contract is between you and your ex, it does not involve a third party. What that means for you is that up front, you are responsible for insuring them, and you then have the right to recover those expenses from him. It's a screwed up way to work, but it's how all post-divorce matters work. You cannot make a third party (in this case, the government) an after the fact party to the divorce contract between you and your ex.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Yup you sure can do that and teach you children no responsibility and no incentive to try. Yeah, super good plan OP

    Answer by Dardenella at 2:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Quitting your job is not the best option. The amount that will be taken out of your refund should not be alot.

    Talk with someone who knows about taxes to find out more about it.

    Without health insurance you can still find medical facilities that will work with you on a sliding scale.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I would ask my employer to give me $60 less a month, and I would be trying to find out the location of your ex husband, does he have family or anything around? I would be hunting him down anyway I could. Depending on the size of the company you work for, perhaps they would be willing to give you a $60 gas card or something every month, if you are a valuable employee, I would just go and explain this to my boss.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.