Should the parents of cyberbullies be prosecuted as accomplices?

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/23712144/florida-bullying-case-raises-questions-for-parents

Personally, I have no problem with it, and I don't for one minute think those parents really had no idea what a bitch they'd raised.  Either they knew and ignored it or knew and encouraged it.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:40 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you. Hit the Parents legally & financially....a hit in the pocket just may wake up these Parents, sometimes that hurts worse.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Depending on the circumstance, yes. You mean to tell me that these parents were so uninvolved with their children that they had no idea they were bullying someone to the point of suicide? Yeah right. Those kids had to have been raised mean and their evil behavior had to have gone ignored. Charge them with negligence of parenting resulting in death of a minor.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• ^^^ that should apply to any bullying, not just cyberbullying.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• The girl's parents say someone hacked into their teen's Facebook page and posted nasty comments about the victim.

I do think the parents should be charged, because with the attitude ^^^ they seem to have regarding their child appears to enable her behavior.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• i do think some parents are that out of it, so far removed from their kids lives that this could happen right under their noses. but that should be punishable since they're lack of parenting allowed this behavior to continue. if nothing else, id book em for child neglect cause if a teen has absolutely no remorse for bulling another to suicide, they were neglected. unless the parents can prove that they tried to stop the behavior, then punish them. all though it would be a slippery slope to other cases.

when we lived overseas, any inappropriate behavior on the kids part was taken out on the parent too. the military doesnt mess around.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• i was just talking about this disturbing case with a friend of mine yesterday. absolutely sick and disgusting. yes the parents should be charged as well, and that girl needs to be locked in a padded cell and have the key thrown away
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• sure, someone hacked in the computer, will be interesting to see if the computer that was hacked was at the library or her very own!
    I am moritifed that none of these parents took it upon themselves to monitor a child's social media.
    Yes, I know invasion of privacy, blah blah
    I would not allow my child on site that I couldn't see the posting and messages of.
    This is as much to see if they are a bully, or the one being bullied.
    I am sure that I will get bashed for being a snoopy parent, but with all the online predators, and the things they can be exposed to, I think part of an agreement between parent and child should be the access part of it.
    I don't know exactly what the charge should be, but I do think some serious court ordered counseling would be a start.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think the parents should be charged only if it can be proved they knew and did nothing to stop it. My own daughter commited some crimes when she was 16. I called in the police when I found out. If I had kept quite about it then I would have been just as guilty as her. I can understand them standing by her but if the police have proven to them that she did it then they need to say we want to get them help. It would have been very easy for her to hide some of what she did from her parents. Not all parents are technolgy experts which with everything out there makes it hard to keep up. Until a few days ago I didn't realize what HW stood for. My daughters had to tell me. The letters change all the time and then you have VINE, Snapchat, etc. You may try to keep up but the kids seem to keep one step ahead. They know how to erase things off their phones, computers, etc. They're not stupid.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I'm not sure what charges should be brought but, yes, they should be held legally responsible for their child's behavior. As soon as these parents realized how badly this had gotten out of hand, these kids shouldn't have been allowed acess to social media. Take away the phone if applicable, talk to the teachers/principle, monitor the social media, talk to the other parents. This tragedy shouldn't have happened! My heart goes out to deceased girl's family.

I realize that when we are raising kids, most of us try to raise our kids the best we can. Once we've raised them, kids make their own decision. I don't believe the main culprit was old enough to be given as much freedom as it seems she had. So, her parents are still responsible.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think it's a good idea to at least scare the shit outta the kids and parents. It is neglect to just allow kids free reign on social media sites without any supervision and guidance. If parents knew they could be held responsible for what their kids do, maybe some parents would start paying attention.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2013