Do you think its right for a father to still get his child when he doesn't help support him?

Beverly M.

Asked by Beverly M. at 1:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yes he's still the kids father. I can't stand when women try to hold their kids over a guys head just to get money. I'd rather my kids fath be a dad then have money,

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think it's wrong for parents to use their kids as bargaining chips in their fights. If he has a relationship with the child and isn't abusive, he's still a father.

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Yes, child support and visitation do not go hand in hand.

Answer by tnm786 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Fair for whom? Faire for the child absolutely and that is the most important consideration.
    Do not use your child as a tool.
    If you have a CS agreement follow it and instruct the court that he I not fulfilling his end of it. If you do not, get one.

Answer by Dardenella at 2:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• A man being a father is the best support.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• What does your court order say?

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Absolutely.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I would think that the relationship is the most important.
    You can enforce child support while allowing him to see your child. He needs to be contributing to the child, but it is unfair to harm the child by not allowing him to have contact.
    I assume that you can get his wages garnished, without being crummy about him in front of your kid?

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:24 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• A child will grow up valuing the time spent with him and not the money spent on him. Although you may need the child support money it has nothing to do with what the child needs. I'd never bad mouth him or talk about the money in front of the child. This is an adult issue and shouldn't filter over to the child.

Answer by baconbits at 2:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Personally, if the dad doesn't financially help. They do not get visitation. But that is not what the court says.

Answer by louise2 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2013