Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you child came to tell you they had been sexually abused, What would your first course of action be? adult content

I am just curious what is the first thing you would do?
Would it make a difference to you the amount of time that had gone by?
Would you call the police?
Would you question your other child-if that is who your child is saying did it?
Would it make a difference if it was an adult or much older child doing said behaivor?
I guess that I am the type that would call my husband, the police, the doctor, IDK?I might tell you about it, but only after I took some course of action.


Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Parenting Debate

Level 29 (39,786 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • I'd post about it on CM first!!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • i'd come here first, just like i'd come here if my child had a fever of 105, was bleeding profusely or not breathing, or if i thought i might be having a stroke or a heart attack. duh!

    Answer by tnm786 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Question child, call police, set up psych help for children.
    Not come to cafemom

    Answer by funlovinlady at 2:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • The police would be my first call. Not CM Answers.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • It would be something only my family, and proper authorities would take care of.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I would have to call the police first because whoever did it would be in danger from my initial rage. I would never post it anywhere on the internet

    Answer by staciandababy at 2:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • It would make a difference in time laps. Like if my teen came and told me at age 5, I was sexually abused by so and so. I would want to know what took them so long to say something? But I would still call the police to see if something could be done.

    Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Depends on specifics of the situation. In most cases I would call the police, have my child examined (if the event was current and forced and physical evidence was likely. Then I would find a therapist for my child and get them into therapy stat. Then I would be calling around to find an attorney to consult with.

    Guess I missed something again.


    Answer by QuinnMae at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Call police, then call a therapist!

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • Honestly, I'm not sure what exactly my first action would be, but I know asking strangers on the Internet wouldn't be one of them. I'd imagine comforting and reassuring my child would come first, then calling my DH if he wasn't there, so we could discuss what exactly to do next. I would assume police may need to be involved.

    Answer by mommy_jules at 3:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2013