Potty training question

My son is recently potty trained. He was doing great. Going #1 and 2 on the potty (still does #1 just fine), telling us when he needed to each time. However, recently over the past few days he's been doing #2 in his underwear. If I catch him and make him go on the potty he will, otherwise he just ignores the potty and does it in his pants. I've tried to offer him an item from a treasure box, a piece of candy, lollipop, sticker chart, etc. He doesn't seem to care. Any have similar experiences or suggestions to offer?

oneofeach26

Asked by oneofeach26 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he?
    Anonymous

• He will be 3 in January
    oneofeach26

Comment by oneofeach26 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• He may not be ready, I would go back to diapers for a couple of months then see.
    Anonymous

• I'm going through the same thing at the moment, it's almost as if he feels it's 'old news' and no longer fun, what we've started doing is a potty training chart, and DS gets to put a stamp or sticker in the box every time he does number 1 or 2 on the big boy toilet. It's working for now, but he still struggles to control number 2s, we still have a lot of accidents with that!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:19 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Try pull up diapers for a little while, then try a more tempting reward.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• They can regress sometimes after they seem to have mastered something. Go back to having him sit on the potty at regular intervals especially if you know his usual time to go #2. He is still young. Stay calm, loving, and matter of fact. Plus heap on the praise. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• If he is that close to being done potty training and this is just a minor set back please do not put him back in diapers. That will just be even more confusing. Kind of like giving him the green light to go ahead and do as he pleases. I completely agree regression at some point can be very normal. Taking a step back and revisiting those regular potty trips can be helpful. So can having him clean up his own mess (with your help of course) Not as a punishment. Just as a matter of fact. 'Hey you had an accident- I guess we need to get you cleaned up. Go get the wipes and start cleaning up I will be there in a minute to help you.' Make it his responsibility to get himself as clean as he can before you step in and do the rest. I agree praise, praise, praise.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2013