How do you define hate?

I was wondering about this today while I was working out.

I was thinking that I don't hate anyone IRL, but there are people I don't particularly like that much. I hear other people saying they hate this or that or even someone, but I don't know what that means to them.

I'm wondering if the indifference I feel for those I don't particularly like equates to hate to other people.

So, how do you define hate? Passionate dislike of someone? Wish bad things on someone? Just don't like them and avoid them at all costs?

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Relationships

• there are plenty of people who I dislike- even people who dislike A LOT. For me hate is a very strong word. It is not used lightly when talking about people. Hate is a very passionate dislike filled with anger and negative thoughts.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I try very hard not to use the word Hate, unless I actually mean it. It is a very strong word and evokes very negative feelings and emotions.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• My simple explanation is that people who hate something or someone do so because they feel a lack of control over a situation or individuals actions. IMO.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Invoking dark and angry feelings
    I HATE my ex stepfather. I wish for him to die a terrible,painful death

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think hate is a strong emotion, & I reserve it for people like Hitler or Bin Laden. Or for the scum who harm children. The rest of the people I don't care to be around, I usually avoid anyway.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think that what separates hate from indifference is that it takes energy, and sometimes a lot of it, to hate someone. Indifference happens when you are beyond the need to put any energy into having emotions about a person one way or another. I've read that the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. Hate is hot, indifference is cold.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:47 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Well ; #1); I REALLY don't like to use the word hate. It is SOOOO HARSH. Call me silly , but even when it comes to asparagus , I say I detestor REALLY DON'T LIKE it. Ya know even the way the government is being run.. I don't say I hate it , I say...well ...the government is not being PROPERLY RUN.
    I wish words like "hate " would be replaced with words like : detest, STRONGLY DISLIKE , LOATH, DISPISE..people should
    reach inside the box and get creative and stop being ignorent to the basic words that out there.

~Cyn

http:// www.cafemom.com/group/NATURALMoms
    cynzbryte

Answer by cynzbryte at 7:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Yes, hate is the energy you put toward someone or something, and it is linked to powerlessness--to feelings of being victimized, not having power in your life. (We come by those feelings honestly.)
    I have felt deep hatred, and these days I notice a big shift within myself toward those same people & situations.
    You could call it love, but just in the sense of compassion, or insight, or compassionate insight! Greater understanding. And self-understanding. The more compassion I have for myself, the less I have "needed" to reject what had been so repulsive in someone else.
    There's more capacity for responding constructively, too. Not just rejecting the person/actions, but really responding in a way that helps.
    The less powerless I feel in general, the less need I feel to control circumstances & the actions of others, and the less hatred (and fury, etc.) I feel in life. Even toward things I find tragic & desperately wish to change!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:04 AM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Interesting.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Hate takes energy from the person who feels it in my book and I will not allow anyone to take my time and energy in a negative way if I can avoid it. I dislike alot of things and people, but I don't think twice about them on any given day. Hate would mean that you have negative thoughts and feelings about them on a regular basis.
    Anonymous