Fibroid tumor help!

My good friend called me today and was told she had a large fibroid. She is from Korea so she is unsure exactly what the doctor said. She went last week for her pap and the doctor (her primary care dr) felt that her uterus was larger than normal so she was scheduled for a ultrasound today. She was told about the fibroid today. She was told that she is going to have to go in to a gyno and discuss a procedure to remove the fibroid. She is kinda freaking out about. She asked me to go with her to the doctor so that I can help translate for her. She speaks very good English, she just doesn't want to miss anything. And she is not familiar with medical terms. She has lived in the US for 14 years and has gone to the doctor only a couple of times.

Anyone know anything about the procedures to remove fibroids? We are obviously going to talk to her doctor, but in the mean time she is totally freaked out.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 6:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Health

• I'm not positive, but I think they could either do like a D & C or laproscopically. Both are minimally evasive.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I don't know. Here's a bump, and I hope the treatment for your friend is as easy and painless as possible.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:37 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I think it should be okay unless they go in and find more than one. Sometimes it can be a more serious procedure causing infertility but that is probably not the case here.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• My mom had fibroids removed, they came back so she had a hysterectomy but she was 48 and long done having kids.

Answer by missanc at 11:06 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• To start with, if the fibroid is not actually bothering her (no excessive bleeding, no pain) there is no reason to remove it. In some cases, you can be given a hormonal treatment that can shrink them (this is what I did - mine caused a LOT of pain and heavy bleeding 3 weeks out of 4).

However, if the decision is made to remove it there are a number of possibilities but all depend on the location, type and size of the fibroid (and the doctor). Here are a few things to google (it would take too long to explain them all):

- Myomectomy
    - Myolysis
    - Uterine artery embolization
    - Endometrial ablation
    - MRI-guided focused ultrasound surgery
    - Hysterectomy

There are probably others. Frankly I would ask whether the procedure is really necessary first. How old is your friend?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Any word?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:25 PM on Oct. 23, 2013