Why do people complain about the GOP "caving in" or "wimping out" when the alternative would be so much more horrific?? A wee bit of a rant...☺☺

I am neither a democrat nor a republican., But I understand what would have happened if the GOP did not reach some kind of agreement with the democrats, and allowed our nation to default on our bills. I made a comment that said ", Obama would be known as the president who was responsible for the 1st major Western government to default since Germany 80 or so yrs ago.. " And no, I would NOT be proud to say this. I mean WTF? Who in their right mind would love that??

"Those who do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it"

I was at a debate class and had someone say..."So instead of standing for what is right, you believe surrender and appeasement is the way to go. Does the name Neville Chamberlain mean anything to you? Run away and hide little coward, you and your kind are as much to blame as the Libs.." Who says stuff like that? IDK... But apparently he was clueless on what happens when a country defaults. After all, when Germany defaulted, it helped Hitler and the Nazi Party to gain more power after he was named Chancellor. AS for Neville Chamberlain, do many blame him for not wanting to enter another war?? He was doing what many others wanted and that was to avoid another war. Here in the US, many blame Obama for not listening to us. Chamberlain listened to his citizens, and get called a coward. But in the end, British did end up declaring war, and entered WW2.

IMO, I do believe in doing right, and the first thing is to realize what's going on, figure out that certain plan may not be working the way you want, so you stop regroup and configure another way of doing things and do it better. So in a sense, the GOP may be just giving into the democrats so they are gaining a few more months of planning to defund this Obamacare at a later date. Or to some of these Americans would they rather have another French Revolution, or risk the economy plunging into recession or even another depression, even another civil war?? The stock market would fall, any borrowing costs would shoot up into the stratosphere. The US currency could be in doubt. I remember what happened in Greece when they defaulted, and the fallout after that happened. Granted it wasn't huge in the grand scheme of things, but it gives a example of what can happened. And since the US is many times bigger than Greece, the fallout of the US defaulting would have been catastrophic.

I am all for defunding Obamacare. I love the fact that at least many people will now at last have access to healthcare. Every American deserves that. But not by making it a law and you HAVE to have coverage, or face a fine. It should be a choice, but a the choice should be made by the person not the government. It still can be the "Affordable Healthcare Act" but still should be able to remain a choice.

Besides, this new "deal" is only temporary, and many people are still in love with the thought of finally getting health care, but they will find out how difficult it is to get because its so confusing for those who have never shopped for coverage before. There are still many bugs to be worked out, people need to get coverage before Jan 1 2014 or get fined. All these little things will add up, and when the debtor comes calling, and our government needs the same thing we need now, an actual budget, not a damn band aid. The GOP will have a better hope of defunding Obamacare because we are confused on this Act now, many will back the GOP this time, and what I ranted about earlier may very well come true, unless Obama wants to work out a deal beneficial to all Americans, not to his agenda..

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I am sick and tired of paying for people who have no health insurance. You complain about entitlements ! People who don't have health insurance are irresponsible freeloaders! I'm sure you would be crying like a baby if someone hit your car or worse yet hurt a member of your family and had no auto insurance. No insurance.. You hit my car, I have to pay up front. You hurt a member of my family, and have no insurance, My insurance company pays. You get hurt the ER can't turn you away. I pay more in premiums because of YOU. Yes, government should make it mandatory to have health insurance. Those who can't afford it, need help. But everyone should have health insurance. No choice!
    Anonymous

• Actually anon, a lot of members don't come back to answers because of the overuse and abuse of the anon button. But I digress.

The deal is only temporary so we will be right back to polarizing both parties again very soon.  While there are a few helpful things in the health care bill, there are far more bad things that make the good look like party favors.  Not a very high percentage of constituents think we are on the right path, yet we keep spending without a budget and without a plan on how to pay it back.  No concessions on spending cuts (and I mean REAL spending cuts, not just a decrease in spending increases). Government has been talking out both sides of their mouths for a very long time.  We couldn't do worse if we picked our elected officials with pages of the phone book and a dart board. Shameful.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:12 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Anon, taxpayers are still paying for their insurance through subsidies. Who do you think pays for that? Government does not make money. Every dollar they have they got from someone else's pocket.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Affordable health care is not perfect, but there are many pluses. Those with pre existing conditions can no longer be denied insurance!
    It makes it illegal for insurance companies to cancel your health insurance because you got sick. It holds insurance companies accountable for rate increases. Covers young adults under 26. Provides free preventive care and ends lifetime and yearly dollar limits on coverage. Its a start! But most importantly should not be defunded - attached to raising the debt limit. We need to pay our bills and not shut down our government because right wing teaparty idiots didn't get their way! Yes it should be a law everyone must have insurance or get assistance for health insurance. I don't want to pay for you anymore!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Anonymous button..? Fantasy name...? LOL I rarely answer debate questions because this group is so narrow minded its a waste of time. Unfortunately for me, I had time to waste tonight, but I do believe I had enough! Keep chatting among yourselves. No one is listening! The GOP looks pretty foolish tonight!
    Anonymous

• Neither party should be proud. They both look foolish. We are broke and now even more broke. Yay, we're all losers! You too anon! Enjoy.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Yes we may not be able to be denied coverage as a pre existing condition patient but they can still deny to pay for treatment. Many of these plans that are now available to use pre existing patients are so crappy(and expensive at that) that they don't cover any of the care a chronically ill patient needs. They can't deny us but they can charge us up the wazoo to attempt to try and find a plan that MAY cover the care we need.

Many patients with pre-existing conditions require multiple specialist visits a year and then we still get sick like everyone else(many times we get sick more) so we have to have numerous primary care doc visits as well, most of these plans don't cover more then a handfull of visits a year or else they are too expensive to afford.

Anyways I digress, I agree with you michigan mom...which often times is the case.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Our debt per citizen right now stands at $53,532. Does that feel like a win? And it's going up consistently.  The debt per actual taxpayer right now stands at $148,134.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:59 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Oh, and you don't pay for me. I'm on my husband's insurance. At least while his company still provides it. If and when they decide to do away with it we will be forced to purchase a plan that the government requires us to have with coverage that we may not need but can't opt out of and deductibles that are much higher than what we pay now. We won't qualify for subsidies at all, so my coverage (my gift for our family being responsible for ourselves) will be a higher cost policy with worse coverage and higher deductibles and out of pocket expenses. It seems with our still very weak economy and high out of pocket costs that the middle class that has been holding on by a thread would still face bankruptcy and financial ruin if something catastrophic were to happen.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Because people have a chronic need to complain, no matter what happens.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:48 PM on Oct. 17, 2013