Can someone make sense of this for me?

NYPD: Dead Baby Found In Teen’s Bag Inside Manhattan Victoria’s Secret

17-Year-Old Girls Stopped Leaving Store; One Admits Having 'Baby In The Bag'

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Two teenage girls suspected of shoplifting were stopped as they were leaving the Victoria’s Secret store in Herald Square, and a security guard checking their bags found what appeared to be a dead baby, police said Thursday.

The girls, both 17, were stopped by a store security guard. It was then that one of the girls admitted she had “a baby in the bag,” CBS 2 reported.

The guard called police. The girl later told police that she had given birth Wednesday and did not know what to do with the fetus, which had matured only five to six months, police said. The girl, who is from Brooklyn, was taken to Bellevue Hospital.

The teens have been identified as Tiana Rodriguez, of Crown Heights, Brooklyn, and Francis Estevez, of Glendale, Queens. Rodriguez was the one carrying the bag with the child inside, police said.

They have both been charged with petit larceny. More charges could follow.

The Medical Examiner’s Office was performing an autopsy on the baby, which was believed to be a boy, to determine whether the child was born dead or alive and the cause of death. The results of the autopsy are expected Friday.

Nearby residents told CBS 2′s Hazel Sanchez they were stunned by the news.

“It’s sad and it hurts because it’s still a life that was born, and now it’s gone,” said Esther Gross, of the Upper West Side.

Passersby on the busy corner asked others what the commotion was about, and some were shaken by the answer they received.

“Very devastating,” one woman told WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman. “I’m a mother of a 5-year-old. I wanted to cry. It’s very sad.”

“There’s no reason, there’s no logical explanation to carry around a fetus,” another woman said.

Police were examining surveillance video from inside the store.

So, in essence, calling a doctor or visiting a hospital never sounded like a solid plan?  But carrying a dead fetus around in a shopping bag (for what reason?) was a more thought out idea.  I honestly can't imagine any reason someone would do something like this.  

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• So she miscarried? Or did she give birth at full term to an underdeveloped baby? My brain isn't taking this in; I don't get it. Did no one know the girl had given birth? Where was she, how did it happen? Where were her parents? How long had she been carrying the dead baby? What was she going to do with it? What possessed her to take the dead baby shopping with a friend? Fear? Denial? Avoidance? Or maybe she hoped to get caught just so some adult would step in and help her figure out what to do? She got no medical care till the police took her to the hospital? This is not computing. Where in the name of God were her parents? It seems clear to me that the teen was cluelessly dealing with issues she lacked the competence to handle. She'll have horrible memories for the rest of her life, not the least of wich will be the fear and loneliness she must have felt. What a shame!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:55 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• she was probably scared out of her mind and didnt know what to do. i cant imagine being so scared of my parents that id do that...but i bet thats why. born that early he probably didnt survive and then she was even more scared b/c now it was a deceased baby. where did she give birth? cause 5-6 months she probably wasnt expecting to give birth...how would you react to being 17, pregnant but no one knows, and you give birth early? she freaked and reacted poorly...maybe she was grieving in her own weird way. if she went to a hospital they would have called her parents.

tragic situation all around.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:56 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Hiding a pregnancy isn't all that uncommon. Not a wise thing to do, perhaps, but fear will make even fairly sound people reason like lunatics. Years ago, I lived next door to a teenage girl and her boyfriend who already had one baby, and she hid her second pregnancy from him till she was seven months along. She told me afterward she woke up in terror every day, wondering if this was the day he would find out. It was heartbreaking. And the day he did find out, the whole apartment complex got treated to a very loud and crazy scene, with yelling, name calling, accusations, slamming doors, etc. It was heartbreaking. I thought it was nuts of her to handle it the way she did, but I wasn't a scared kid, either.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• mental health issues maybe?
    fear?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• ill.say little baby instead of fetus... r.i.p. little angel :(
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• ^^ i just assumed that they had stolen some stuff from the store on top of having the dead baby in the bag.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:21 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• probably afraid to tell her parents. not that its a good excuse its just one of the things teens are afraid.to term their parents. pray for the young fetus and the young lady that gave birth. so.sad
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Lack of empathy for others?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Has nobody noticed the sentence..."They have both been charged with petit larceny. More charges could follow."
    Petit larceny? Huh? Definition..law : the crime of stealing something that does not have a high value

While it is sad what those 2 girls did, and I hope they get the help they need, and then allow the parents to rip them a new one, then put them in jail for awhile. But the charge "petit larceny" has me shaking my head. That would lead some to believe they stole a baby from that store, not one of them giving birth to the baby.

So no OP, I am still trying to make sense out of that story...
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Even with being young and scared, I can't imagine first of all- hiding the pregnancy without knowing that people would notice. Second - that it's acceptable in any way to throw a body in the trash. If she miscarried then I can understand being shocked and stuff, but she gave birth and presumably it was a messy event. My first inclination would be to get medical attention, regardless of fear of my parents. But then to carry the dead baby around in a shopping bag is just a very weird thing to do. I guess more will come out after the autopsy.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2013