My three year old grandson isnt talking in sentences. Advice??

I don't want to say anything to offend my son and my daughter in law. I feel like I have tried to bring it up before, but they got offended. I am just worried. Maybe he is just a little behind, and Im just being paranoid. My four kids, all talked in sentences by three. My grandson is a about three in a half. He says small things, like truck, doggie, kitty, etc. I fee like he might be behind, what do you think? How should I approach it. I think if there is something wrong, it should be looked at now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Oct. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• I agree with you - if there is even the possibility of a delay, it should be checked out immediately. However, as the mother of a son with autism, although I likely would have been defensive of anyone suggesting anything was "wrong" I wish someone had said something yo me earlier! (He was almost 3 when he was diagnosed). The school system will evaluate him for free but I can't help you with how to approach your son and dil!
    Kids do learn at different paces and all kids are different, but I don't believe in sitting back and just hoping they catch up when something can be done!

Answer by missanc at 6:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• While it sounds like there is a concern you can't make them feel the same urgency. Once he goes to preschool it will be caught. Until then if they do not want to be worried there is not a whole lot you can do unfortunately. I have been in similar situations. If the parents are not receptive I drop it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• My oldest son talked in complete sentences by age 2.

My middle son, barely said a few words at age 3. People were constantly telling me there was something wrong with my son. I took him to the doctor several times and was told he was fine, but other people had me constantly worried. Sometime in kindergarten he started talking, and he's never stopped. he's 24 now, very articulate, won speech tournaments in high school. He really is fine.

I'm sure your son and daughter here it from their friends, see the differences between their son and other kids his age. Believe me I did. Odds are, he'll be just fine.

Hugs grandma.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:14 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• my son was behind in his words and we switched daycares and in 2 weeks he learned more words than he had total before. we learned he was basically being set in a play room, fed, diapered, and put down for a nap without any interactions or anything. People had asked us if he we had him checked for autism because he didnt talk, he screamed a lot, but what a difference a new daycare made. He is now considered ahead of where he should be. Maybe you can be encouraging and help him on your own through interactions and such.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 10:37 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Granddaughter literally did not say a word until she turned 3. It took forever for her to form sentences and she still has speech issues. She is 5 and in Kindergarten now. We got her into Speech the day she turned 3 and has been going every since. She is doing fine in school.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I don't want to say anything to offend my son and my daughter in law. I feel like I have tried to bring it up before, but they got offended.

^^^^There's your answer right there.You keep your mouth shut and let his parents deal with it. I know a 3 year old that talks worse than a 2 year old. His parent's excuse is that he suffers from seizures. In the year that I've known them I've NEVER seen that child have a seizure.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:09 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I would wonder how much he is conversed with at home. Even if children can not respond with more than coos, they should be spoken to as though they are holding a conversation with you. If that is lacking, the voices are just background noise. I would also have his hearing checked by a professional, simply because I had the issue with my own child, so I am more sensitive to hearing loss.
    Since you are not his parents, you can observe and try to do the things you did with your children to encourage them. If you son will not discuss it there is not much you can do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:18 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• My oldest was a "little adult" by the time she turned 2. She was talking full sentences, could say her entire alphabet, could count to more than 10, etc.

So, of course I was worried when my son wasn't doing all that by the time he was 3 or 4. I was sent to a speech therapist, they tested him, and they told me he was perfectly normal.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Speech therapy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Just let nature take its course. Some boys talk later than others.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2013