after marriqge license is signed by minister and witness and turned in to clerk of coirt, is there a time limit before u have to take it to social security offjce?

tlamis

Asked by tlamis at 9:49 AM on Oct. 18, 2013 in Relationships

• I don't think so. I think as long as you have a certified copy of the license, you can just take it with you to change your name. You have to change it with Social Security first, though, then after you do that, you can change it on your license and elsewhere.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:06 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I don't believe that there is, I would call just to confirm :)
    JennaBea

Answer by JennaBea at 10:08 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I think you should call the SS office and find out. I doubt there is but it may cause difficulty in filing your taxes or something else. I just really do not know.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• It was actually a few months before I got to a social security office in order to get my last name "officially" changed after getting married. A couple reasons, I was pregnant and sick all the time, my husband had the only working vehicle we had at the time so I couldn't go anywhere...so we had to wait till he got an actual day off and I was feeling OK.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I don't so.

Answer by louise2 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I waited a couple of years before I officially changed my name. There is no time limit that I am aware of.

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 3:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• No. It took me nearly half a year to finally change my name lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Ok thanks so much for the replies! I didn't think so either but I am pregnant and due to insurance reasons I figured it would be easier to wait until after the baby but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any issues by waiting a few extra months! :)
    tlamis

Comment by tlamis (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• No time limit that I know of. I took about 15 months to get my name changed with SS after our wedding.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2013