How would you react to this play at school. This was asked I believe yesterday or the day before, but wanted to edit it

so my 8 year old dd was telling me that they were doing a play at school yesterday in the library that she was in a grave yard and someone had killed her and put a knife in her neck. She said it was a play they did in front of the class for halloween. Halloween or not I don't like it. Should I say something or just not worry about it?

I asked my dd more questions when she came home from school yesterday and she said that they had to get into groups of 3 and play a story for halloween. I asked her if it was at recess she said no it was during class I asked her whos idea was it she said it was her library teachers. She said their story was the scariest (i can't call til monday (if I call) because they have no school today so which will actually be a good time to find out what exactly was going on. But I am not sure of what questions to ask mt dd before jumping up and calling the school?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Relax mom it was in the name of Halloween fun....

Answer by older at 11:23 AM on Oct. 19, 2013

• So she made up her own Halloween story to play out & you are mad at the Teacher/Librarian/School??

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Holy crap it was a play. Build yourself a bridge and get over it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I'd probably ask her if she had a good time.....

It's Halloween.... live a little.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:47 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• You could turn this into a perfect time to do some extra credit parenting... What I mean by that is to take the time to explain to her about what goes on in life, what is real, what is play, etc... etc.... I mean, I know this is playtime, but make sure she does too. Unfortunately, we cannot shelter and protect our children 24/7 in this world. We live in a society where, yes, kids do kill. We have to think of creative ways to help our children survive in the times we live in. This is where we, as parents, have to make sure they know that video games, TV shows, etc.. are in fact, NOT REAL. However, they can happen and do.

I hope that makes sense. I'm in no way making light of your feelings.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. I really don't see it as anything different than Cops & Robbers from when we were kids. They obviously recognize that stabbing someone or being stabbed is a scary situation and they wouldn't want to actually experience this. I also highly doubt the teacher suggested a neck stabbing. But if it would make you feel better, then call. I for one, would have wanted to see the play. lol
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 12:36 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• This just isn't a battle I would fight. Maybe I am an uninvolved, lackadaisical parent and I accept that. What exactly do you want the end result to be? The teacher and librarian getting fired? Are other parents complaining?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• it was just a silly play, no knives were involved. it's no different than when they run around with their friends at home and pretend to kill eachother or save eachother from being killed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I don't think it is that big of a deal.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:02 PM on Oct. 18, 2013