My 2yr old eats until her tummy hurts

In a matter of 3 hours she had cereal, an apple, string cheese, pudding, bacon and eggs, and a waffle. Then tells me her tummy hurts. I just figured she hit a growth spurt and that's why she kept asking for food. So I had her lay down for a nap, and about an hour later she comes down and asks for more food. SERIOUSLY?! How can this tiny little girl eat sooo much? I just gave her some oatmeal, now waiting to see what she asks for next. I don't want to tell her no if she's actually hungry, but how am I supposed to know if she's hungry, or eating just to eat? How do you teach a 2yr old that she shouldn't over indulge herself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Her stomach is the size of her fist. Giving her more food than that at a sitting is over feeding her.

My daughter LOVES to graze, and would snack all day if I let her. Easy fix: I don't let her. She eats at meal times and not between. When she was younger, I'd give her a snack.

Everything your daughter ate before her nap is about as much as my *6* year old eats in a day, maybe a little less.

You are the parent, it is up to you to teach your child how to eat healthy and know when enough is enough.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Stop letting her eat tell her stomach hurts.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I am with Rosehawk. You are the parent and though you can allow a little extra because they do go through spurts, it should still be close to what her little fist is in size. If she has a particularly active day only a little extra. You can also give smaller proportions if you are going to give in to the demands every time. I had no problem saying that dinner would be in a half hour, etc.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:07 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• That's crazy. Does she finish all that food or does she just take a taste?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:32 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Now is a good time to start teaching her when to say wen.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:34 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I agree with others but also if this is a continuous thing you should speak with her doctor to make sure nothing is wrong.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Make sure she is drinking enough water. Many times when someone says they are hungry they are actually thirsty.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:52 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Silverthreads is spot on! My 4yo always looks for food when she is thirsty. I offer water first, then a small snack.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Who is the parent?
    JUST SAY NO!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2013