Have to take DS to urgent care. I have a question though.

He either sprained or broke his thumb on the playground. His Dr.'s office is closed for the weekend and the pediatric urgent care doesn't open until 4:30, so I'm not neglecting him or his needs (just to be clear).

Question, if it's broken, what do they do for a thumb?

the same question for a sprain?

How long does something like this usually take to heal? He's 10, almost 11.

I'm thinking more towards sprain because he can still move the thumb, but it's difficult and painful. It's swollen as well.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:00 PM on Oct. 18, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Can he move it at all? A thumb is different than a finger, I think maybe the ER is the best idea, I would say if he can move it and isn't screaming in pain that is a good sign, but IDK for sure because I only play a doctor on Cafe Mom, LOL
    Hope he gets better quick!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:10 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Then again you can't really buddy wrap a thumb probably splint it either way.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:11 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• When I broke my thumb as a kid, they put a splint on it. Soft foam with a metal strip on the outside, taped on. That was thirty years ago, though, so treatments may have changed.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:25 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• hope to hear good news when you return
    (crossing fingers) pun intended ;)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:55 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Hope all goes well next week. What a trooper. Hope he feels better soon.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I think they do a splint or soft cast type thing that immobilizes his thumb.

I think healing is 6-8 weeks?? I'm not sure on that one though. My husband broke his collar bone in high school and was told 6-8 weeks to heal. My daughter broke her collar bone when she was 2 1/2 and we were told 4-6 weeks to heal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:06 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Depends on the where and what is broken.... anything from a soft cast to a hard cast to surgical repair.
    Sprain... same thing... depends on how bad... again could be anything from an ace wrap to a soft cast to a hard cast to surgical repair.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I hope he feels better, poor little guy.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:26 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Poor guy.
    Glad you know what to do for him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:54 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• The "Can you move it ?" question reminds me of when I was 9 and I fell down a waterfall. ( It's in Jamaica, you can climb all the way to the top) I ran to my mom and told her what happened. She says "Can you move it?" So I moved it. She says, You're fine, and I go to climb the falls again. The next day I went water skiing, and I kept letting go of the rope. My mom is screaming at me, saying she paid a lot of money, and I tell her my arm hurts. Well about 6 months later I fall at recess, my mom feels obligated to take me to the ER since the school nurse is the one who called her about the fall. I get xrays, and the doc says, this arm was broken before. Moral of the story, just cause the kid can move it doesn't mean it's not broken.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:22 PM on Oct. 18, 2013