Cottage all year round?

Numerous times my grandmother said that I could have the cottage at the lake, I'll have to fix it up no one has lived there since before my grandpa passed..

We are having a few "issues" 1. she says it is to far (barely twenty minutes).. 2. it is almost winter and it is to cold at the lake (they use to live there all year round and I was basically there all year with them - I don't remember it being any colder there than anywhere else)..

Either way, what are some ways I could debate these two issues in my favor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Oct. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Ask her if she has changed her mind and, if so, why. If you can progress the conversation enough you might ask if it can be put in writing that you can "have" the place at a certain time. Or can you rent it with option to buy? Have a lawyer draw up an agreement if she is willing.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:49 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• She may have changed her mind.
    She may be thinking that it is too dangerous for you to be "way out there" all alone.
    IMO being near water is colder but as long as you have insulated and have a good heater and the roof is in good repair, the temperature should not be an issue.
    If you are starting now to fix up, is she thinking you want to live out there this winter? If so she may have a point since it has not been lived in for a good many years.
    Maybe her retirement fund is not as good as she thought years ago.
    The only thing you can do is to ask her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:16 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Basically she is telling you in a nice way that she doesn't want to pay the heating bill for you to stay there. So, tell her you'll pay the utility bill for the month you go.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:44 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• She won't be paying the bills.. I will be.. And the roof is brand new - well a year old.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2013

• She might have changed her mind. You might ask her if she has changed her mind. As for saying it is too far away, how far do you drive now? I used to drive 20 miles in Denver, one way to get to work, and it could take over an hour - so for me 20 minutes it nothing. As for the heating, let her know that you will pay the bill. You could also bring up "Remember when I used to come and stay with you at the lake? I really liked that. I don't remember being too cold." You know, something along that line.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 2:54 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• No her issue is she wants to buy me a new house.. (I've posted about that before).. But anyways I really don't feel right accepting a house, but I'm okay with taking over the cottage before it is to late and won't be able to be lived in at all ..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2013