I need some reassurance here.

My son is 9 months old and wakes up once a night, "just because." He doesn't need to be fed or anything but just wakes up and will not go back to sleep unless he is in bed with me. My husband is working third shift right now until the spring and the funny thing is that my son will not do this on the weekends when daddy is home. Am I being a bad parent because I am allowing him to sleep with me 1/2 of the night???? I know it is not bad parenting but I just need some reassurance. Thanks guys!

jmoran

Asked by jmoran at 2:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• has your husband always worked third? when did this start with your son? was it soon after hubby started the third shift? it might be that he knows daddy isn't there and he just needs that extra comfort from sleeping with you. Kids really do pick up on lots of little things that we don't even realize.

IMO NO you are not a bad mommy for doing that!!!!
    Anonymous

• If you are, then I am! My 11 month also still wakes up from time to time and Daddy always brings him in to sleep with us for the rest of our night. I am trying to get him to stop though because then I don't sleep. I am trying to just give him a bottle of water and lay him back down. If he yells, then he yells. I never let it go on for more than 10 or 15 minutes though as it doesn't happen very often.
    DAjZeZnLE

Answer by DAjZeZnLE at 2:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Hubby started third shift at the beginning of the winter and that is when Riley began waking up too!! I am pretty sure he is picking up on the fact that Daddy isn't there. Maybe he is protecting his mommy. haha!! Too Cute!
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 2:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• no let kids be little they will grow up soon enough, it is fine. If husband gets upset though I would let son do it only when dads gone.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Hubby doesn't get mad at all. I just don't want to spoil him with sleeping with me all the time. He does go to bed in his own crib/room though so I am sure he will be fine!! Thanks everyone!
    jmoran

Answer by jmoran at 3:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My baby is 2 1/2 months old ans she has been cosleeping with hubby and I since the day i had her.
    Anonymous

• You're doing great! But you knew that already.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 AM on Feb. 21, 2009