What age do children learn the word "virginity" in Catholic schools???

My son is in 1 grade and has to do a Saint report. One of the possible Saints is renowned for her vow of virginity... Should I have him do a different Saint or is it okay for him to mention? Or just leave that part out about her somehow...

Just no clue when they hear that word or how to explain it to him when he asks what it means...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• From as far back as I can remember in the Catholic Church we discussed the Virgin Mary. I probably had no idea what that meant until I was older... why not just explain that it means something like "free of sin"?? To a child, they won't understand anyway.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:04 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I think you have to be careful about it. When my son was seven and going through his first communion classes he asked me what a virgin was. I tried the whole "it is someone that is pure" crap and my kid didn't buy it. Then he asked what it really meant. I didn't know what to say being put on the spot like that so I told the truth... It is a person that has never had sex. He was totally embarrassed and said..."MOM! You didn't have to say THAT!". Yes I did.

But now he know he can always come to me and I will give him a straight answer.

Since he is doing this report for catholic school... I would probably either skip that part of her history or try and gloss over it. I believe in being truthful to my kids, so I told him the truth. But I would guess that other parents are not going to appreciate it if your son goes all over school explaining what virginity is. I did make sure to tell my son not to talk about it at school.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:12 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• As soon as they hear Silent Night...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I think it was always explained in Sunday school that the Virgin Mary had never "been with a man" or "known a man" and yet she had a baby. I'm not sure when I actually figured out that meant she hadn't had sex. I'd probably just pick another saint and avoid the issue.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:31 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• If it is part of her story then it should be part of his report.
    I can't remember how far back because the word is part of every day life in Church and Catholic schools.
    He can always pick a male saint. Virginity is not mentioned in their histories.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Don't they talk about the Virgin Mary?
    He doesn't need to know that it means penetration by a penis, h just needs to know it means "pure"
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:50 PM on Oct. 18, 2013

• I would just pick a different saint. Do you really want to explain what that means? Haha I wouldn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:45 AM on Oct. 19, 2013