my 4 year old has a cough from a cold what is the best thing to give her

dejon1234

Asked by dejon1234 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Love and attention.

I wouldn't give a 4 year old (or any child under 6) medications for a cough. I know that there are some out there, but I don't trust it that young. If she has a fever you can alternative tylenol and motrin. Call her pediatrician or take her in if you are worried. Pertussis is going around again.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Nothing unless her physician recommends something. How can we know how to treat it if we don't inspect, palpate or auscultate?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Really, not much. You can hydrate, try honey, vaporizer but Delsym and those other meds don't always work and aren't great for kids. I don't know, I'd take her in if it's really disrupting her sleep.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Humidifier and what the doctor recommends .

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Whatever her doctor recommends.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Rub vapour rub into the soles of her feet, don't ask me how it works! I've no idea, heard it from a friend and it worked for me and DS!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Oh but make sure the vapour rub is suitable for her age, ours says from 2 years and up.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 7:31 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• If you want a homeopathic remedy, try melting a dab of butter and mixing it well with a few drops of honey, then giving it to your child while it is still warm. It will soothe her throat and quiet her cough with no side effects.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 PM on Oct. 19, 2013