Neutral or abusive?

The video of the dad mocking his child after a solid hour of repetitve tantruming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBUhV4seFHA

I'm in the kid will get over it and possibly realize how ineffective a tantrum actually is camp.  Some people on the interwebs are getting very butthurt and calling this "abuse".  Which side do you take?

Bonus question - how many here have done the same thing :)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I am 100% sure I have done that on more than one occasion.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• YES I've done it. It's what they need to see..... how dumb it looks... LMAO!

People are wayyyyy tooooo soft these days.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• I don;t think it abuse. But I don't think it is necessary either. Shut her door and walk away. The more attention they give it, the more it will continue. And them all standing around and laughing about is giving it attention. So they are perpetuating the problem.

Meh... not my parenting style, but not abuse either.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:44 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Not abusive. If they did this every single time the girl threw a fit and completely ignored her feelings then yes it would be shitty parenting (still jot abusive) but I actualy found the video pretty funny. Kids over exaggerate when they throw fits, we know that. Sometimes they need to have the mood lightened to realize their behavior is ridiculous. The mom actually commented on the video and said the tantrum stopped after the video was taken because she showed it to her daughter who then started laughing and stopped crying. I've mocked whining before but my kid gets sent to his room to throw fits before it escalates to this so I've never had the opportunity to mock this much but I still think it's kinda funny.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• This poor family, that kind of tantrum would drive me absolutely insane. I don't have girls but I have three sisters. I don't know how my mom did it.

We are raising a bunch of sheltered, inept losers that won't leave the house if we keep up with all the PC rules about parenting and everything else. I'm so over it. Life is not easy so how will they cope with all the coddling? They have no coping skills!

I think this guy did a good job in that video. The kid will get over it. It's not abuse to me. I don't advocate making fun of kids regularly but clearly this family is also very over her tantrums.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• Thing with tantrums is they all make us so crazy we could mock them, scream at them, slap them, or do whatever impulsive action comes to mind. I might take a video of it to show then later as my parents have pictures of my tantrums but I don't think I would make it public.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• but I don't think I would make it public.

I wouldn't put the kid public, though I don't think that's what this really does. You don't see the screaming kid in this video, so nobody is really laughing at the kid, they're laughing at the dad, who is willingly making a fool of himself on the internet.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• True.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• I thought it was funny! Dad is probably tired of his fits.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2013

• LOL haven't had to act that bad but I have done the wah wah wah wah, all you do is whine tantrum with LO
    Abuse? No way!!!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:37 PM on Oct. 19, 2013