Am I a bad mother because I smoke around my kid?

My baby is a year old now. Its difficult being a single, and teen mother so i smoke to take away stress. I gave up while I was pregnant but started again after Angel was born. Do people think I'm a bad mother because I smoke around her. I live in a apartment so I don't go outside, I either open the window or smoke where I am. Will Angel grow up to smoke? Why do I get dirty looks off people when I am pushing her along in the street with a cigerette in my hand? Please answer honestly.

cheyenne95

Asked by cheyenne95 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 20, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm not going to say you're a bad mom, but you are putting your child at risk for a number of health issues due to second smoke. Do some research on second hand and quit smoking around him/her. It's just as bad if not worst than smoking while pregnant.

http://m.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/secondhand-smoke
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Babies and children exposed to SHS are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear infections, and more severe and frequent asthma attacks. Smoking by parents can cause wheezing, coughing, bronchitis, and pneumonia, and slow lung growth in their children.

^^Taken from that website. People give you bad looks, because it's common knowledge how harmful second hand smoke (SHS) is, especially children. If you must smoke, go outside away from your child and don't smoke in the car (even with the window door down...it doesn't help).
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:35 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• How hard is is to step out the door a minute and smoke.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Honestly I do judge parents poorly when I see them smoking around their child. There are other options I would try them.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I am not going to say you are a bad mom but this is something you should not be doing when you are with her...you are being selfish and not thinking, this could possibly be harming your baby, think!

Answer by older at 9:02 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I would jus really try not to smoke directly around Angel... Maybe you can go into the bathroom and sit by the window...our parents smoked around us and were fine.. It's jus the issue of how we kno they are bad for you...
    Whiplash0113

Answer by Whiplash0113 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• No. I smoked around my first ( almost 15yrs ago). He wasn't any sicker then any of my kids are now. But now that I'm older I smoke outside or sometimes in the basement with a air filtration system on if its freezing out. The way I see it is if I want to kill myself that's fine, but I don't need to take my kids down with me.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:39 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Short answer? Yes, it's horrible to smoke around a child. Opening a window is not enough. Step outside and away from open windows.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Smoking in a small apartment, even if you open the window is lazy and irresponsible. You need to step outside to smoke so you don't harm your baby.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:05 AM on Oct. 20, 2013

• You need to stop. There is not one good thing that comes from smoking, for you or your baby. You say to take away stress. Well now is the time to learn some healthy coping skills. There are a million single parents who don't smoke. They find healthy outlets that don't put their health at risk, or the health of their children, and don't cost a fortune. How do you buy cigarettes if you are a single mom????
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 20, 2013