Afraid to show affection

How would you if u dated a person that was afraid to show affection? Do you know why ppl become afraid to do this? I know I am afraid because what if I do it and you don't like it? The fear of being rejected or laughed at kills me. Im super loving but dont show it outwardly out.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 3:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• I have a hard time showing affection till I'm very secure in a relationship, and even then it isn't overly easy for me because I don't want genuine affection to be mistaken as a signal that I'm looking for sex. So I know how you feel. My boyfriend is a very affectionate person. I tend to express my love in acts of kindness, rather than touching. There's a book called "The Languages of Love" or something similar that might help you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I do not show affection either (aside from with my children, who know they are very loved). Did your parents show you affection in your childhood?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Nope neither did. I assumed they loved me and kept it at that. Something basic as saying I love you wasn't a thing. For me to say it now, not to my son, a gun could be held to my head and I still wouldn't say it. Something about that word stirs up too deep of an emotion.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I think we found the issue. I have a horrible time saying I love you in a relationship. When it is said to me it does not make me happy, which is what is supposed to happen right?

Sorry you suffer too. I don't have a solution for you.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• my 14 year old brother has a hard time showing and accepting affection. he just never learned how. He's getting better though
    AllyB_

Answer by AllyB_ at 8:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Yeah I find the words I love you to be very scared so I just don't throw them out there all willy nilly. I think for the right person I am able to accept their affection and love but theu will have to understand it's super difficult to give it back. Not that I don't want to.....just don't knowhow.. Siunds super crazy to me, I don't know how to love.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 7:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2013