Has anyone bought a car with no help from another person who knows cars?

need a new used car
have no one that knows cars to help me

where do i start?

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 5:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2013 in Just for Fun

• First and most important piece of advice ... research, research, research.

What kind of car are you looking for?
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• do not really know
    i have a ford Taurus now, have had it for 12 plus years - now no heat (among other issues- time for a new used)

a hatch back would be nice, has to be automatic (me driving manual is not a pretty site...
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I would look into a leasing a new car so you have a full warranty. Go to some Dealerships like Chevrolet etc & look around and ask about specials. Look in your local paper for lease advertisement deals too. They run specials all the time. You could probably get a good deal on a new 2013.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I just saw a commercial for a 2013 Chevy Cruze lease special... $149 a month with about $1,100 down. Great Deal!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• First things I would recommend would be to find out if the car was a new series or model year (those usually have the biggest problems compared to subsequent years where bugs have been worked out). Find a repair facility that is ASE certified. The more certifications, the better. Call and ask them if they do buyer inspections. This may cost you money up front, but it may save your hide from a shitbox that needs thousands of $$ in repairs. Anyone (if buying fron an individual) that isn't willing to let you have the car inspected is refusing for a reason. Tell them thank you and move on to the next one.
    If buying from a dealer, ask what kind of warranty they will put on their pre-owned cars and what that covers. Ask if you can buy an extended warranty.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I used to be a service advisor at an independent repair facility and I can tell you one thing. When I would call and give an estimate for repairs to clients, the number one thing they responded with when declining repairs was 'I'm going to sell the car'. So, count on some work needing to be done and factor that in to your decision and negotiations. If they have their repair records or shop records in the car, I would even suggest calling the repair place of their choice to ask if they have any records of recommended work that has not been completed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Yes just once and it was a HUGE mistake. This guy was even a friend of friend.... He sold me a total POS. I would really recommend that you take it to someone you trust at a shop.... maybe an older man that has dealt with cars all his life??? Not that I think it has to be a man, of course.... just someone who has worked with cars and is an honest person.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• If you lived near me, I would give you a great deal on my sons car!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 6:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Paxy you have to get a hold of your car insecurities! Call mechanics in your town and explain you are looking to buy a used car and want to know how much they would charge for an inspection before you buy it. Then explain to the owner of the car you want to purchase that you would like to meet at your mechanics shop to check the vehicle. If they are selling you a POS they probably wont want to meet you anyways and that will save a hassle.

What year ford Taurus and what problems? My first car was a Taurus and it was fairly simple to repair. Its still on the road too I saw it the other day.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I agree with Quinn. She has some really good advice.

You can also get the VIN and pull up a Car Fax report. And Kelly Blue Book is a good site to check out for researching cars.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2013