Sigh, just sigh

So my friends that I was having issues with and my family all took a 2 months break from each other. Now I remember why.

Their 6 year old (more and more of a blonde airhead) decided she'd try and put her 3 year old brother BACK in the bathtub, KNOWING that she's not supposed to do stuff like that. Well, his wet, slippery body squirmed out of her arms and he did a header into/onto the bathtub, full of warm water.

Dad took him and ran for the ER, leaving Mom and the other two kids at home. I offered to watch the other two while my husband took Mom to the ER too. 6 year old had NO CLUE how dangerous what she did was.

3 year old, size of a 4-5 year old, had to get 3 staples in his head. It's the back of his head, just to the left of center. Mom now has to stay up all night and keep a close eye on him too, with school in the morning.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 9:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• Wow... I dont even know what to say.... so many things leap into my head... Do the parents need a total wake up call on parenting? Does the 6 year old need some consequences for hurting her brother? Was she trying to be helprful and it was an accident? (Like he got out of the tub, and peed on the floor so she thought he should go back in) Or was she just being a bossy big sister for no reason? Why were the parents out of the bathroom if a three year old was in the tub????

Hmmm... Im not sure how I'd handle this if they were my friends but I think I'd be slapping some sense into someone...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Wow. As bad as that is, it could have been a lot worse. I would take that over the alternatives in a heartbeat.

I hope the 3 year old has a speedy recovery.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• That is awful. But accidents happen. The kid is only six... I would cut her a break.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• My first question would be why was a 3 year old in the bathtub without parents in the same room. I could have been an accident, but they are lucky it wasn't a worse one. A family here lost their child because the mom out the kids in the bathtub and went to clean, the baby drown. When I did put my kids in the bathtub I was always in the room, and it got drained the second they got out, because I was afraid they would try to get back in. We keep the door closed, but dd can open doors, and I don't like taking chances.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I don't get why the six year old was allowed to watch the three year old in the tub or was he out of the tub? In which case, why was the water still in the tub? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Clearly, someone wasn't watching. : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• He's pretty tough. He's the one that greets everyone that walks in the door a hard punch to the nuts (guys) or stomach (women).

The parents kept emphasizing that it was just an accident. I'm not sure how much I buy that. That girl keeps doing stupid shit that gets others hurt a little too often for it to be an accident all the time.

Once is accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is intentional.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• @ Nimue: Yes, yes, yes, yes, I don't know. The 6 year old is a VERY bossy little brat that has already learned how to be a dumb blonde/mean girl. She was trying to "help" by putting him back in the tub when she can barely lift him when he's dry.

At this point I don't even feel I have the energy to say anything to them. They just come back with "well, you guys only have 2 kids, you don't know what it's like raising 4" and other similar excuses. Bah, I just really needed to vent a bit. I've said everything to them a hundred times already.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Sorry, but a three-year-old shouldn't be in the bathtub without an adult an arm's length away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Not arguing that one at all Ballad.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• My 3 year old would scream if someone picked her up. Omg.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2013