Should I say anything?

Monday the 14th my son went to school sleepyish, we figured w/ a case of the Monday's. He said by snack time he felt like hot death and pleaded w/ his teacher to see the nurse. She not only said no but was so rude/short he realized there was no negotiating. He somehow held it together two more hours and then fled from the library line to the nurse with permission from no-one and she took one look at him and called me immediately. While I was on the way she nurse had to send for his coat/bag since he literally ditched them in class. His temp the nurse took was 103 and by the time urgent care moved us to the emergency room it was 104 and required IV fluids which were extremely upsetting to him. I can't help but wonder if he'd been seen 2 hours sooner he would have been spared the suffering. he missed 1/2 of Monday and all of Tues/Wed and then there was no class Thur Fri so basically he's been gone a week. I am bitter as hell right now. Would you snark at her? Mention it nicely? or forget it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I would be in the principal's office first thing tomorrow morning. I would say NOTHING to the teacher; this one goes up the food chain immediately. Who knows if he had something contagious and infected half the school?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Snark at her, no. Call and set her straight... DAMN RIGHT!! I'd also make sure the principal knew that my child was not allowed to seek much needed medical attention!! It's not the teachers call whether the child is sick... that's why there is a Nurse on site!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I would talk to someone. Students shouldn't be stopped from seeing the nurse, I there was nothing wrong he would have been sent back to class, no harm no foul. I would be livid if I were you, even if the teacher thought he looked fine, she is not a healthcare professional, nor can she tell what he is really feeling. 104 is pretty high, how old is he? I hope he is feeling better now, but I would talk to his teacher or principle about the situation.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't snark at the teacher; that's pointless. But I'd call a meeting with the principal and the nurse and tell them that your son was denied the right to seek medical attention from the nurse when he felt as if he needed it. Show them the records from the urgent care and the emergency room, and make it politely but perfectly clear that this better not happen again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2013

• Man I'd be one pissed off Momma. Screw the teacher, I'd have been on the phone to the principal as soon as I got out of the ER. There are so many things wrong with that situation.

Hope your little guy is feeling better.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I would be livid. Your kid is smart, my mom always told me and my siblings that if a teacher said we can't go to the bathroom, but we really needed to that we were allowed to just get up and go so good for your kiddo for standing up for himself and knowing that he needed help. I would confront the school about it asap if it were me
    AllyB_

Answer by AllyB_ at 12:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I hope your son is feeling better! I agree with pp, go right to the principal on this. My DD's school has an actual policy that no child can be denied a nurse office request. If they abuse it, the parents get a call. Works great and puts your child's health in a true professional's hands.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:29 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I'd go straight over her head to the principal. She put your son at risk for not allowing him to see the nurse. Heck, what's the point in having a nurse if the kids aren't allowed to go to her when they have a problem. Since when does a teacher know better than a nurse what a child's medical needs are?

Like I said, take this to the principal and let her/him deal with it.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:56 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I would be in the principal's office, with paperwork from the urgent care and ER and demanding to know why that teacher thinks she has ANY authority to determine whether or not my very obviously ill child needed to see the nurse. I'd also be making it clear that from this point forward, there wouldn't be any tolerance for mistakes from this teacher. Once she's put my child at risk like that, she better tiptoe around on eggshells and be overly cautious.

It's good that your son stood up for himself, because obviously the teacher doesn't give a crap. After talking to the principal, I'd also tell my kid that from this point on, if he thinks he needs the nurse, he can ask once, but if she says no, he's to get up and walk out then. I wouldn't even wait for a chance to slip away.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:38 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I'd be in the principal's office too! Take all your paperwork. Stay calm, but strong and determined!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2013