For those ladies whose husband has had a vasectomy

Can the man be put out completely?

My fiance is a complete wimp about incisions, shots and anything procedure related. He said tonight he would get one if they put him completely out.

I will call around tomorrow but if anyone has words of wisdom about their husbands procedure I would enjoy hearing them.

Asked by staciandababy at 2:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Health

• Like bb said no they won't put him under. They gave my dh a happy pill ( Xanax on turbo boost) and he was done about fifteen minutes later.

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Just remind of all the uncomplicated sex he can have with you after he's had the all clear!

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• they gave my husband a pill I forget what it was he was to take it a half hr before he went in.. it relaxed him... he was awake threw it.. but felt nothing but some tugging on his_______ and 20 mins later he was done.. and he was now a lil doofy the pill was in full affect lol.. it was really funny.. but husband is happy and in face trying to tell his friend to "man" up and get it done ( his wife almost died in labor and was told no more kids to high risk ) so my husband lets him know its fine and you live and don't feel anything... a lil sore after but frozen pees worked great and was at work the next am :) best of luck :)

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• well i wasn't there when my ex had his done, but he did fine with it. he said the worst part was the numbing shot and after that it was smooth sailing.

Answer by tnm786 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• No doctor is going to do that. General anesthesia can have complications. The procedure is done in office,not in an OR. They can prescribe him some Valium beforehand if necessary. It's a half hour,in and out.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Same with mine, a Xanax or equivalent a little beforehand and then it wasn't a big deal. I agree that going under completely only adds unnecessary risk and expense.

Answer by Fairierose81 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Yup, I've been with two guys who have had vasectomies while I am in the room. The Dr. gave them an Amien and Xanax, I believe. It's not a big deal at all. Incision, snip, cauterize.... bam, you are done. In fact, the second guy went back to work the very next day.

Answer by m-avi at 12:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Great I will show him. I think he is imagining something terrible.

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• He also has epilepsy and has had seizures triggered by blood draws and shots. I guess those are questions for the doctor, just thinking out loud. A vasectomy would be a definite bad time to seize.

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Ok. As soon as I said there is no sedation he closed up and said absolutely not. I mentioned my two birthing experiences where a HUMAN came out of my vagina tearing shit up and he still wont entertain the thought of a 15 minute procedure.

Oh well then. I can pursue different forms of birth control when insurance is mandantory.

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2013