What are your thouhts on declawing cats?

We have 2 kittens that my dh wants to declaw (he had a cat growing up that they declawed my mom had cats growing up she didn't ever declaw them) after doing research on the subject I don't want to declaw them I have seen those ca[ps you can get for their toes in store so they don't claw your furniture that I mentioned to dh, but he is dead set on getting them declawed. What I read says that they cut off the tips of their fingers and it is painful i mentioned that but he still wants to get them declawed. I don't want to. I rather use those capo things. What are your thoughts on this subject? How can I get him to go with the caps rather than surgery? We have to get them fixed as well which wouldn't be at the same time since the place we take our animals to get fixed is cheaper, but don't declaw so I don't want to put them through pain twice

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:11 AM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Pets

• Some cats ( granted, not all) that have been declawed will stop using the litter box because the litter hurts their amputated paws. So ask your DH if he wants a cat that can be trained to not claw the furniture, or a cat that poops and pees all over the house because using the litter box hurts too much. Watch My Cat From Hell. Also, I recently lost my 19 year old cat. In that time period I went through 4 different couches, and it wasn't because she clawed them; they just got old and ratty. Personally, I put more value in my relationship with my cat than my furniture. But that's just me.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• De-clawing cats is barbaric. It doesn't matter if they are in or outdoor cats. I would let my husband know that if he wants cats they can keep their claws and be taught to scratch a post and not the furniture. If that won't work for him, re-home the cats and get a damn fish!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• It's cruelty to animals and should be illegal.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I didn't know anything about cats when I got one for my daughter, so I asked the vet what her thoughts were on declawing. She gave me no less than two dozen Web sites to look up before she would even discuss the surgery, and by the time I did the reading, I was no longer interested. Everything I read said it was downright cruel to have a cat's claws removed--akin to getting your toes chopped off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:48 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I would never declaw a cat. It isn't fair to the animal. What if it gets out and can't protect itself, can't even climb a tree to get away from a threat? So I'm with you, I'd buy the cap things (I've seen them, too), rather than declawing.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Give the cats away before you allow him to declaw them. It's cruel.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:26 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Show him (on your or his hand) where they cut the cat - at the first finger joint. It's not declawing so much as it is amputation. The vets rarely make that clear to clients. Ask him if he'd choose to live without the first joint on EACH of his fingers for the rest of his life. I bet he wouldn't like it.

Cats can be trained to not scratch furniture - tin foil and catnip are wonderful motivators. Put foil where you don't want the kitty to scratch, and the liberally dust or spray the areas kitty can scratch with catnip. Do have a few areas, too.

Good luck!
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• There's a reason that it's forbidden in many countries. It's an amputation. Imagine you had your fingers cut off at the first joint.

Personally, I have had many cats and none of them were ever declawed (even before it was illegal, it just never entered anyone's head to do such a thing). What works is to give them something they REALLY like to sharpen their claws on. We used a freshly split log. It's much more satisfying to a cat than furniture and WAY beyond those cardboard scratching pads.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• It's a disgusting practice and a lot of Veterinarian's will not perform the procedure there is other much more humane things to try SoftClaws which go over the claws,cat towers which they can scratch.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• i have two cats that aren't declawed. i bought a spray bottle when they were kittens and squirted them when they started scratching up my furniture, plus i bought extra scratchy things for them. i'm not a pro declawer.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:20 AM on Oct. 21, 2013