Are your kids spoiled?

Mine is. I give him pretty much whatever he wants. He's a good kid though,and doesn't whine for anything
I know my actions are psychological. I want to give him everything that I never had as a kid.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• I hear you on wanting to give my kid what I didn't get growing up. Some of that involves toys and the like,but a lot of it is affection, attention, and conversation. Also a chance to explain and tell her side when an issue comes up. My boyfriend says I'm too soft sometimes, and if I am, well, it's better than the way I was already terrified of my mom and wanting nothing to do with her by the time I was five, like my daughter is now.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Yes and no. They have much more than either I or my husband had - both in attention and material things. But, we have refused to give them things they wanted either because we couldn't afford it or didn't think they needed it. We've also taught them to be able to play alone so that they don't EXPECT a parent's attention constantly.

They also realize that they are fortunate children, that many others aren't as blessed as they are. So they are thankful for what they have. They don't (usually) act like spoiled brats.

What it boils down to, as KTElite says, they are loved. And, it's very hard to spoil a child with love.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:27 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I buy/give less now than I did several years ago.
    I definitely am more comfortable or feel less compulsive where "things" are concerned. I still value the "things" I chose & the things I might like to provide for my kids, it's just that inner relationship to wanting & getting/providing it has changed.
    My kids have nice things & are far from deprived, even so. But there has been less coming into our home, in terms of "stuff."

I think they do have a lot, and expect good things/experiences from life. I would not call them spoiled but that also seems subjective. Once an appliance repair guy commented "Well aren't you spoiled!" when my 3yo son showed him his red kid-sized spatula and said it was the spatula from his toy kitchen. I don't know if he meant it ironically (like, a kid who's excited about his spatula probably isn't spoiled! lol) or if he was seeing the situation of a spoiled kid who has "every" toy, down to the spatula.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• no. i always take spoiled as a material based thing, lots of toys at the expense of other more important things or always demanding something new (not asking, but demanding). my kids have more than i did at their age, but then we are more financially secure than my parents were when i was growing up. tho, if you saw their Christmas morning you'd think they were spoiled (ive been buying gifts since July haha).

if you take affection as spoiling, then ohhhh yes they are! my parents were kinda hands off when it came to physical/emotional affection, so i over-do it for my kids. lots of hugs and kisses and i tell them im proud of them a lot. i craved that so badly as a kid, i dont want them to ever want for it!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• No, my kids are loved. ;)
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:18 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I think we had the same family Butterfly. That's what I do with my Son. I have spoiled him. I am trying really hard not to do that to my Daughter (overindulge). We went to the Zoo this weekend & she got one stuffed animal & was happy beyond belief. My Son wanted a bunch of stuff but now that he's a little older I can explain that things cost money & we have to save for something really good & not buy junky toys. He finally gets the idea but it wasn't easy getting it through.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I give my son what he needs and what I feel he deserves. He is a good kid and does not ask for much.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 21, 2013

• yes they are, material wise yes but mostly by grandparents
    my gandbaby I raise is spoiled by me its different as a grandparent
    but they are ALL spoiled with love too.

there is a difference between spoiled brat and spoiled in the sense that they get things we didn't or others wont. We normally GIVE for rewards and special things but sometimes just because.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Yup.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• More than some, not as much as others. But still, yeah, they are spoiled.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2013