Any advice on making omelets?

I tried making one last weekend, and it turned out awfully dry. Any advice? What's your favorite omelet?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 12:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I have a hard time making them, they usually turn into scrambled eggs. I have found though that low and slow is the good way to go. it takes a little more time but it wont dry out as fast. And also wait until your omelet is on your pate before you salt it because the salt will dry the eggs out too.

My all time fave omelet is ham, cheddar and mushrooms (fresh mushrooms some places use canned and GAG)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Few things easier than omelettes :)

Melt a little butter in your skillet and swirl it round so that the surface is covered. Make sure it''s fairly hot. Bet the eggs and seasoning and pour into the skillet. Let it set a little. Then raise and edge and tilt the skillet so that the raw eggs run under it. Do this until there is nothing runny left. Add filling (I'm fond of cheese), fold over and serve.

My favourite is to add cooked chopped spinach to the eggs and to leave them slightly runny...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• My first thought is that your heat is probably up to high. They do not take very long but a higher heat makes them tough and dry.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/619258

Like that in the link. I like ham and cheese omelets. I make DD a one egg cheese omelet a few times a week; DS won't touch eggs.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Wisk them for fluffy, mix with a fork for flat, little butter, or use the bacon/sausage drippings. I start with high heat for only a few seconds, cover, turn heat down as low as you can (obviously this only works with real heat, not electric coils), done in 90 seconds to 2 mins, depending how much other stuff is on it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I love omelets, but I can't make them except with this thing my stepson bought for the microwave. It's awesome, and the omelets come out moist every time. I like mine with mushrooms, olives, salsa, a smidge of Cheddar cheese, and bacon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I know how to make them. One of my favorite foods. I would have to show you how to make it. It really isn't that hard.

Answer by louise2 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• you have gotten great advice.I do the low and slow method. Egg whites with spinach ,sautéed onions ,chopped tomatoes and goat or feta cheese.

My all time favorite is from a restaurant in Dallas Brazil Cafe....a Chili Relleno omelet ....oh my gosh good.Every time we go visit some family I have to eat there.Fortunately it is served all day and they are open early to late.I have tried to copy but mine doesn't come close

drfink

Answer by drfink at 6:03 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I'll tell you ladies I give up! It was burnt on the bottom, dry and fell to hell in a hand basket. We ended up having breakfast tacos with it.

Drfink, that sounds crazy good!
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• You have to cook the egg slow. Should have all the ingredients ready before you put the eggs in the pan. The egg does not have to be done to put the ingredients in. About half way done.  By the time you put it all together. The egg will be done.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2013