Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How long after marriage can I get on my husband's (military) medical insurance?

I actually read a question similar to this but it was asked in 2010. I don't know if anyone out there have some recent experience as I'm sure policies can change at times. We are actually going to get our marriage license tomorrow. I am pregnant. Anyone have any input on about how long this process will take if we jump on all the paperwork quickly?

Answer Question

Asked by toekneelynn at 2:55 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Military

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I would think right away. But I'm just guessing.

    Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • I'm not sure about military insurance, but with civilian insurance it is considered a "life changing event" and the new spouse can be added right away.

    Answer by tessiedawg at 3:16 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • Right away

    Answer by funlovinlady at 3:18 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • If he has you in DEERS then right away. He has to get you into DEERS first.

    Answer by Izsarejman at 3:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • Thank you so much for all of the replies...puts me a lil more at ease

    Comment by toekneelynn (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • After you get married. Bring all the paperwork. Marriage license, birth certificates(for you and any other kids).  with you to trycare office on post. They will help  you their. He has to go get yours and other kids Military ID too.  Some other thing he has to do, I do not remember what they are.


    Answer by louise2 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • A caveat to the bride to be: MIlitary medical care for families can be pretty hit and miss, with more miss than hit. FInd out which flavor is running in your area; you might be better carrying your own.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

  • Once you are in DEERS and registered for TriCare.

    Answer by AF4life at 8:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

  • As fast as it takes him to get through DEERS then Tricare.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2013

  • It is immediate. You can go straight from the wedding ceremony to the personnel office to get listed as a dependent (that DEERS thing the others mentioned) then go to the hospital Tricare office and turn in the paperwork there and you will be all in the system within hours.

    Answer by cat1622 at 6:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2014

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.