Getting a Urine Sample from a Dog adult content

Okay, sorry in advance if this is gross. Believe me, it's not real charming from where I stand, either. I'm supposed to get a urine sample from my black Labrador and take it to the vet for testing before she gets put on this kidney pill she needs to take. It turns out her kidneys have problems, so the diuretic is out, and we have to monitor the painkillers closely so they don't stress her urinary system. Which means frequent tests. Only the dog isn't the most cooperative patient. I've been out there a few times with a cup, but she either squats down so close to the ground I can't get the cup in the right place, or she shies away from me and the urine misses the cup--it doesn't miss my hands and shoes, though, thank you very much. Is there a trick to this?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:29 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Pets

• I had to do this- use a pie tin. It's flat & you can quickly slide it under her when she starts to go. Then pour the sample in a plastic butter dish to safely transport to the vet.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Wow... tough one. Im clueless here... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I'm sorry Ballad, but I'd have to say this is a job better suited for your boyfriend!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:28 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Will she pee on a tarp?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I was thinking paint tray liner. pie tin, cookie sheet, preferably all DISPOSABLE, LOL!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

I'm inclined to agree with you, but he's not stepping up for this one.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 5:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2013