Charging for finishing a quilt

I recently finished a quilt for a family member. They had pieced the blocks together, but I quilted the layers then did the binding.
I told the family member that I wouldn't charge anything for finishing it, but they're adamant about paying me.
I don't know what to charge. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Just ask them to get you a gift card in an amount of their choosing to your favorite craft store. Then the amount is left up to them and you have some fun spending money.
    Anonymous

• That sounds like a lot of work.. I'd at least charge $50.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I like Anons idea of letting them get you a gift card to a craft store, or Starbucks... I'd ask for Starbucks ;)
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• A gift card of your chosing would be perfect. Then the amount would be up to the one buying it, and the way the money is spent would be your choice. I'm sure the person you did the quilt for is very grateful.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• $50 sounds good to me, would have cost me that per hour to have mine finished.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• If we were to have one done here on the machines that you program with standard patterns It is about $125.00 for just the labor on a full size quilt. Binding is about $35. extra. Custom work is usually more depending on the intricacy.FYI
    I also did not want to charge for the work. I told them that I would not set the price, but would take whatever they felt comfortable giving me.
    they also asked if I would rather a gift certificate or cash. And then what store.
    I received between $25.00 and $50..00 and everyone was happy. I one case I asked them to donate it to a common charity of my family and I do not know what was given and I was good with that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:36 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Normally it would depend on the size, and around here it would be from around $100 for a small wall hanging to $300 and up for a queen size, depending on the details and type of binding.

Since you were willing to do it for free, I would just tell them you're not in business (unless you are) and that you don't want to set a price, whatever they're comfortable paying you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2013

• I have seen quilters charge per square inch of the quilt. You can go as low as 2 cents per square inch if you wish. Or if you have kept track of your thread charge .75 cents per yard.
    PNafziger

Answer by PNafziger at 5:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2013