If it was 37 degrees out,would you insist that your preteen/teen wear a jacket to school?

Today the only 2 kids that were wearing a jacket of any kind,were my son and his classmate. All the rest wore either jeans and a sweatshirt,jeans and a tee,or shorts and a sweatshirt. At the end of the day,it was 41 degrees,so no warm up

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I went through this last year with my 13 year old. She didn't want to wear a coat and it was in the 30's. I let her go without one, the consequences were that she froze her butt off and when she came home she told me I was right LOL.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Nope. I would remind him to wear a jacket and tell him that I do not want to hear any complaining if he chooses not to wear one. Been there... done that.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I figure at that age they know if they are cold or not. If they choose not to wear one, then they are old enough to suffer in silence.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• insist.. no! Strongly suggest... yes. Kids, teens, especially males, are not bothered by the low temps. I work in a HS... I've watched this one young man walk to school every morning without a jacket in all kinds of weather... the cold just doesn't bother him. There comes a time when you have to cut the apron ties and let them make choices for themselves. If that choice is to not wear a jacket then so be it. If he's cold he's only hurting himself.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Nope, I would let him decide if he wanted one or not, but wouldn't listen to any complaining if he got cold. That is one battle I see no reason to have.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• No I would not insist. I've learned that they only keep them on while they are in your line of vision then ditch it. All that means is they lose a perfectly good jacket!!!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• nope. my brother was one of those "never cold, never take a coat" kinda teens, so i wouldnt push the issue. now a pre-teen id demand they at least take something in their bags, but a teenager can be miserable if they want haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:04 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I would insist but I can see where parents give up and pick their battles.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• nope, I didn't wear a jacket or coat. I kept one in my back pack until I could drive then in the trunk.
    I was the longsleeve Henley, or sweatshirt girl with shorts and boots- very rare to have seen me in anything different even if there was snow on the ground (I'd put leggings under my shorts)
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:45 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Nah, as long as they had a hoodie at least, I would let them be. I do say no when SD tries to bolt with no outerwear of any kind, and that is usually because there has been a change in the weather she doesn't know about.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2013