Does your school have the advanced learning option for homework? Do you ask for it?

I guess kids need to test at a certain level to be considered ALO students but we always just asked for the extra work regardless. This year, however, my youngest didn't test high enough. The teacher doesn't seem to want to give us the extra work this year. Last year, it wasn't a problem. Is this odd, am I missing something? Maybe I just shouldn't worry..

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 8:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• NP, LO does her regular homework that the whole class does
    they have certain things they do over the week.
    she has 31 sight words they want them to know by January how ever they only do so many per week. Most of the class know between 5-7 for sure, LO is all the way through the 31 list so instead of only doing alphabet, 2 syllable words vetc, there is a packet to get them a step ahead and the teacher goes off of it to challenge her more in class as well. Does that make sense? hard to explain but she is already where they hope the rest of the class would be 3rd quarter.

So where here weekly packet may say how many of the lowercase letters can she recognize, I write in that she did upper, lower, and all sight word flash cards and got all correct so we moved onto the words...x y and z
    And we went to 50 instead of 20 etc.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• we get advanced HW packets along with regular and can choose to do it or not, but we do have to ask for it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• The packet thing sounds bizarre. How do they actually learn anything from extra busy work?

At our school there are 2 tiers. The top tier kids are bussed in to one school (3 schools now since they expanded it to kids outside city limits). The 2nd tier kids are each grouped within their grade at their own school. Both tiers are taught separately, and their programs are full time. They hardly ever have homework along the lines of fill out worksheets or answer problems from a book. What little bit of that they do is done in class. Instead they do long term research projects, alone or in groups depending on the project, and all their research and presentation prep is the homework.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• My DD is given an "on-level" & "above-level" option. We always choose the above.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• This year, however, my youngest didn't test high enough. The teacher doesn't seem to want to give us the extra work this year.

Why would the teacher give your child the advances option if they didn't test high enough for it??

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• We don't have option like that around here. All the kids are offered the same work through middle school. We have a FOCUS program which is a little pull out class the kids get each week. Not really much to go on. In very rare cases they will skip a grade.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I never heard of this advanced option stuff. Is it everywhere? As for testing high enough, what are the tests? Kids can vary from week to week. I know this because my kindergartner had gotten a note home saying she was "Below Basic" because she only knew seven letter sounds when she heard them out loud. Two or three weeks later, she decided she was interested--she hadn't been up till then--and her score rocketed up to forty letter sounds in one week. (I guess there are more than the standard 26 because some letter groups make unique sounds like sh, ch, th, etc.) So anyway, she went from "Below Basic" to "Meets Expectations" for the third quarter at the end of the first. So I'm wondering, can your kid test again? How often are the tests offered?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• I think the packet is just essentially practice to what they go over in class. There are around 28 kids in the class so personal attention is not an option. Here, we'd hire a tutor if we needed to do so. Too much busywork is pointless but this is about five pages of repetition.

I don't know if it's offered everywhere around the USA but I do know that we are incorporating more core curriculum this year to be more like all schools across the USA.

I agree testing can be a dicey way to determine level. My kids have very little computer experience so even when we practice www.xtramath.org, my child makes mistakes by hitting the wrong keys. So, I know he's doing this with the MAP tests (which determines the advanced option).

My kid has always had the advanced learning so I want to keep pace with where we've been the last four years. He needs the challenge despite not scoring high enough (and by this he was about 8 off).
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Bump :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:21 PM on Oct. 23, 2013