Is having an odd # of kids mean?

We have 3 boys. Our third as almost 6 years younger than the second. There are 2 years between the first 2. I am concerned about our 3rd being left out of everything. Should I be concerned or does this not usually happen?

mamatomy3boys

Asked by mamatomy3boys at 2:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• no LOL
    Anonymous

• Eh...my step-brother and I are only a year apart. Both grown and moved out of the house for a while now. My younger half-brother is 8 years younger than me and 7 years younger than my step-brother. In a way he benefits since he has us to rely on for all sorts of support, but in a way I think he loses out as well because I find myself playing mother just as often as I am playing sister to him. He's also now stuck in the house with our parents as an only child now and has been for a few years since my step-brother moved out. I think he somewhat enjoys it, but he gets rather bored being the only child (or teen, I suppose) there all the time.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 2:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have three boys. The difference is mine are all within 33 months. My oldest is 5 and the younger two are 3 and 2.

I don't think it's the odd number concerning you as it is the age differences being so different?

I don't know about your youngest being left out of everything...there are always going to be things the older ones can do and the younger one can't...even with my three! My oldest has done baseball and soccer already...the middle one is quite upset he can't play yet. The youngest one doesn't even care yet. LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I hope not, since I have three and don't want anymore! Honestly, I dont' think it's 'mean'- there is no guarantee on whether or not siblings will get along, regardless of number, gender, spacing, etc. They either do or they don't. Yes, it's nice to get along with siblings, but kids also grow, get out, make their own friends, etc. If you really want another baby that is one thing, but I wouldnt' have one just to even out the numbers.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• That was the situation with my SO. All three of the brothers are adults now and they all get along great! I wish my sister and I had that kind of relationship. They didn't leave him out when he was younger they just tortured him! Tied him to a tree and let the dog hump him. Threw his favorite teddy bear in the washing machine and caused him to break his arm, then rolled him in dirt and their mother never knew the truth until a couple of years ago!!! Maybe yours won't be that mean!! Horrible stories really, but they all laugh about now.
    Anonymous

• "Tied him to a tree and let the dog hump him"

That is so funny, lol. I guess I am more worried about the age gap. I don't think we'll have more, but I was just thinking about this.
    mamatomy3boys

Answer by mamatomy3boys at 3:03 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have three kids 15, 12 and almost 3. The older kids chose to play with the youngest over each other and usually fight over who gets her. LOL. No having a odd number of kids isn't mean.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• well hon.... i can help you with this... my bf is the baby in a family of three boys, and let me tell you.. he said it was the best way to grow up.. they each had their own thing to do... but.. the older two did stuff together, but then the younger two would team up and do stuff together... and then now, they are all adults, and no joke, they text each other movie quotes all day.. one is a lawyer in montana, mine is in oregon and a driver for UPS and the oldest is in Nashville in sales.. they are so close and when i asked my bf why and how, he said cause mom made sure we looked out for each other.. he said even when he was to little to play ball with his two older brothers, she made sure that he went with them, cause he would eventually play when he was older/bigger..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 4:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have 8 children, 2 girls and 6 boys - ages 21 to 20 months, somebody is always left out at some time or another. I just make sure that it does't happen too often.
    danielle808

Answer by danielle808 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009