Victory!

I made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner, and it all promptly smelled awful to me me.

But, that's not my victory.

Every other time I've made tomato soup my kids take half a bite and say EWWWWW! do I HAVE to eat the rest?

Tonight I flat said they had to eat it all. I added a mixed blend of shredded cheese and as many goldfish as they wanted. My daughter turned to me and said that now that she's eaten more soup, she actually LIKES tomato soup now.

Yay!! My son is admitting that it's not terrible too. It's still not his favorite, but it's not terrible.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 8:40 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Well played.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:53 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• My kids are the opposite- won't touch a grilled cheese but suck down tomato soup til they're bloated.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Yay!!! It's great when everyone eats what you cook for dinner!!

That used to be one of my go-to meals. Then Campbell's went and "new and improved" their soups by tinkering with the salts - less sodium, more potassium, but you won't taste the difference! Lies, all lies. *sigh* We haven't had tomato soup since the Big Betrayal (named by hubby).

But, I digress. I am utterly thrilled that your kids ate your dinner without too much hassle. It just makes the evening so much better, doesn't it? :)
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Normally I LOVE tomato soup. I don't make it very often because my husband won't even try it, and the kids weren't too fond of it. Made it tonight, took the lid off the pot and it smelled like dog shit.

Damn these pregnancy hormones. I thought I was over this fight between my taste buds and my stomach. Guess not yet, it's just subsided a little.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• It just makes the evening so much better, doesn't it?

Yes, yes it does. Especially since the kids won't be seeing much of Daddy for the next 2 1/2 months. He got his hours changed at work because some bitch put in her 2 weeks and the company bent over backwards to keep her. He now works a split shift. He's up and gone to work before we're up, and will be getting home after we go to bed.

It's gonna suck donkey balls, but we'll manage. We always do. This shift will be doubling, almost tripling his paycheck for this time frame.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 9:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Cool. It's always nice when your efforts in the kitchen are at least a little bit appreciated. We're eating odds and ends around here tonight because Dad is sick.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:14 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• *bowing* teach me your greatness
    my boys are super picky and I can't get them to try anything new
    AllyB_

Answer by AllyB_ at 9:27 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• You Rock!
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:43 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• damn, i want some mater soup now.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• They tried whining at me and I didn't let it fly. They then asked if they had to eat ALL the soup (half a bowl or less) or not. I said, rather frustrated, yes, they had to eat it ALL, fully expecting them to have a little left over by the time they got full.

Ally, I've never let picky eating fly in my house. They either eat what I make, or they go hungry until the next meal. Then, they get what they turned their noses up at the first time. Not counting sensory/texture disorders, many picky kids are picky because they are allowed to be.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2013