Whyyy would a 4 year old bite and chew on e v e r y t h i n g ?

one of my 4 year olds will NOT quit putting things in his mouth. This isn't a new behavior, he's been doing it since he was an infant. At first it was normal because he was a toddler but he never quit. every toy goes in his mouth, string goes in his mouth, blankets, pillows, the couch, chairs etc. he isn't "eating" non food items, he just chews and bites constantly. It drives me crazy and I have no idea what to do.

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 9:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Probably the same reason why my 32 year old husband chews on pens and water bottle caps. Whenever you figure that reason out, let me know.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:25 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Nervous habit?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:48 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Oral Sensory Seeking?
    Anonymous

• lol Jersey mom

My son is 6 and still does this. For him it is sensory. I've thought about buying a medical grade necklace to chew on but haven't yet.....was hoping it might lessen with school(which it seems to have some as if he is engaged mentally he doesn't do it so much).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:39 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• My14 yo is the same. I am always telling her to take some little piece of plastic or other out of her mouth, YUCK!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:24 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Sounds like my 33 year old husband. For him, it's an oral fixation. He HAS to have something in his mouth.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Could be a comfort thing. I know my ds was chewing on fuzz and strings off clothes he would find just to calm him down. It was so strange and I hated it!
    mlg1989

Answer by mlg1989 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• mig - That actually gives me so much insight! his twin has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (and soon to be bipolar disorder) Anxiety disorder (among other things) run rampant in my husbands family and I've been wondering if Maxx also has anxiety so maybe that is what this is all about! I THINK YOU SOLVED THE PUZZLE
    AllyB_

Comment by AllyB_ (original poster) at 5:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Awww. Hope you get it figured out.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 AM on Oct. 31, 2013