Has anyone's baby had a herniated belly button?

Doctor is going to see her in 3 days and didn't seem overly worried when DD described what she saw. I have no experience with this at all.
What did they do to treat if, if that is what this is?
I haven't seen it so I have no details really.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 11:35 PM on Oct. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. No bandaid. I would just push it back in when I noticed it was out. More for my own peace of mind that anything. It really didn't bother my guy at all.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:37 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• yes, if it doesn't close in a certain amount of time they will go ahead and do surgery. If it seems to be closing they will leave it alone and most likely have her schedule a repair later. They had us do it at the age of 3, she did great and was back at daycare in a week.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 11:38 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• Yep. My youngest son had one. The doctor said that it wasn't a big deal and that it didn't hurt. He explained that there are two abdominal muscles that meet in the middle. When babies are born, sometimes the muscles haven't bonded completely. But as the kids grow and move around it forces the muscles to work harder and they become more firmly attached. He said it should close on it's own by a year and if it didn't that we would look at surgery.
    I was skeptical because he got to be seven, then eight months and it was still poking out. Then overnight it seems it just closed up and never poked out again.

It looks freaky and looks like something to worry about, but it isn't really. Also the doctor said that unlike groin hernias there is no risk to the intestines.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:42 PM on Oct. 21, 2013

• My son had one. A few doctors recommended surgery, the surgeon said no, it was so miniscule he'd grow into it, and the pain/recovery from surgery was not worth it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Thank you
    Did you put a bandaid or anything over it to protect it?
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2013