Fellow apartment dwellers

what kind of neighbors do you have?
I have one who keeps to herself, the other on our left is great and I just love her to death (she is so so sweet to me and my boys!) but the people upstairs leave a lot to be desired.
granted I know I'm lucky because they aren't TOO bad (The neighbors above my left neighbor used to have parties constantly and were very disruptive) but I have to vent
his girlfriend doesn't live with him but she stays over a lot. she stomps on the floor at 7/8am while we're trying to get ready for the day (sometimes the 4 year olds throw fits, sometimes we aren't being THAT loud) but then they get drunk and fight all night long!
quiet hours are 10pm-6am. we have NEVER been loud during quiet hours. these people are only noisey afterwards. (like I said, big picture, they aren't that bad) but I'm annoyed right now. Their fighting makes my 14 year old nervous (he has ptsd. everytime they slam a door or throw something across the room he flinches) we're both stressed out tonight anyway and we both want to sleep but we cant -.- (oh lovely, more door slamming)

big sigh. ok thanks for listening to me rant

AllyB_

Asked by AllyB_ at 1:39 AM on Oct. 22, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I would go up and talk to them. I am about to do that with my upstairs neighbors. I pretty much have the same as you, one to the left is a friend, though I could do without her cigarette smoke. One the right is nice, our kids have played together. I get along with everyone on my floor (there is one new couple I only met once). One across the hall sets the smoke alarms off a lot though. People above me I can't stand, it sounds like 2 400lb guys wrestling constantly, day and night. They also vaccum at the worts times, like 11 pm or 4 am. I know my kids probably make it loud for people below us during the day (running, jumping, ect) but after 7 pm we have a "quiet time" rule, they can watch tv quietly or read books. If they are loud they go to bed.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:40 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Been there, done that. Actually, you can call the police if you hear yelling, slamming, and things being thrown. Ask to remain anonymous, and don't phrase it as a complaint about the noise. Phrase it as that you are concerned about possible domestic violence. Why wouldn't you be, with what you are hearing? That might get the people the help they need, or it might make them understand they have to get a grip on the racket.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:58 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Our apartments are laid out a little funny. There are 13 or so buildings on he complex, all labeled with a letter of the alphabet. Then, each building has two doors that allow access to 4 (2 story building) or 6 (3 story building) apartments. I live on the 2nd floor of a 2 story building. My neighbors across the hall seem nice. The kids are teens and the come stomping up the stairs a lot, but seem really nice. My neighbors below me aren't bad. The two youngest kids are little shits though. They routinely slam their door hard enough MY nick-knacks fall off my walls. The neighbors downstairs and across the hall I don't know much about. We don't see them very often.

I'm just thrilled that the pot-heads that were living across the hall from me are gone. That shit STANK. I live in one of the states were marijuana is now legal.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:43 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• My neighbor is 103 next month. I see her about once a week. She is hard of hearing and conversation isn't easy but she is very nice and mostly keeps to her apartment. The one upstairs is fine to when he works extra shifts he washes his laundry at night. Washer is against my bedroom wall. Over the other side is a nice lady with a standard poodle. His is a bit goofy sometimes and falls off of the furniture on occasion
    So so occasional bumps. Above that is a couple with a small daughter and a small terrier mix. Nice , friendly people. Above on the other side is a family with two girls. They are the loudest only because they have to inspect every stair for safety, up on down. A herd of thundering elephants. (That is not a comment on weight but sound) We have finally gotten a pretty good mix.
    Across the way is a couple who is constantly fighting and you can hear them in our building. The police have been called more tim
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• than I can remember. On the other side is a couple and he and his buddies sit on their porch every weekend night and blast a boom box. They have calmed down since the neighbors have called the police a number of times. We have former Russians and Indian and Mexicans and Blacks in our building. The smell can be amazing in the hallway at dinner time
    I haven't always had great neighbors but right now I am pretty happy with the mix.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:59 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Now we live in a townhouse style apartment so noone above and only the office below us in the basement. So I don't have to worry about my son being to loud that way(we used to live in a 2nd floor apartments when he was 2 and I would try and keep him as quiet as possible).

To our right we have had some problems. The parent(really more the mother) is in my opinion bordering neglegence at times, and the kid can be annoying/troubling at times(he is same age as my son and can be somewhat violent). To our left someone just moved in with a dog(in a no dog complex) they say it is a service dog but they leave the poor thing alone most of the day and he is a larger dog, never seen them really take it on a walk and they are a bit strange(standoffish).

I also could do without the neighbor(right) smoking...or at least stick to one side of the apartment(front or back) so that I could have one window open during the day/night.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• OMG. Okay. So we moved into our building about a year and a half ago. It was quiet when we moved in. The apartment next to us and the apartment across the hall were both empty, and the neighbors down the hall were great - had parties on the weekends, but otherwise were quiet.

Then all hell broke loose.

Two 19 year old kids moved in across the hall. They weren't working and one of their grandpas was paying their rent - so you can imagine what little respect they had for the place. It started off HORRIBLY. They had parties all the time - if you're not working, who cares if it's a weeknight? They would hotbox their whole apartment, to the point that it smelled like WE were the ones smoking pot. One of their first weekends there, one of them was caught URINATING out their THIRD FLOOR WINDOW. IMO they should've been kicked out then - but NOOO the building manager felt SORRY FOR THEM so they stayed.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• BUT THERE'S MORE.

They got a warning after that (by the building manager and the cops) so they quieted down - a bit. Then our building manager got fired, so the kids got rowdy again. As it turns out, it was the other kid (not the one who's grandpa was paying rent) who was starting all the crap, so his friend kicked him out. Well the kid who got kicked out turned out to have wicked anger problems, so he came back one day and spent TWO HOURS trying to break down the door to his apartment - I'm guessing he still had building keys but not apartment keys. He literally tried to RIP his way into the door (which had a chain lock inside too) and left shards of door frame all over the hall. FINALLY they both moved out in August.

But oh, that's not all.

The apartment next to us wasn't vacant for long either. A single mom with three kids moved in (it's a two bedroom place). The kids were 11 or 12, 4 or 5, and 2.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• And uh... not to judge or anything, but the kids were all very clearly different nationalities (therefore different fathers). I tried not to judge too harshly for that part, but everything that happened next didn't really help her much. This was about a month or so before Christmas last year, and since I was working at Toys R Us, I was coming home fairly late at night (because of holiday hours) - I was usually coming home any time between 10:30 and 11... and most of the time, so was she - WITH ALL THREE OF HER KIDS. I have no idea WHY she was dragging her kids around so late at night. She would arrive in a different car every time (so I bet they had no carseats) and sometimes with a different man too. But then once they were home, her kids wouldn't go to bed! As we all know, 2 year olds are hard to deal with for normal parents, but it was like she wouldn't even try to get her kids to be quiet at such a late hour.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2013

• Aaaaand the nightmare continues.

The poor 11/12 year old clearly did not like her mother. She would often try to "run away" and would end up in the hallway screaming at her mother, calling her all kinds of names - totally fair, the mom clearly wasn't doing her job. I felt so bad for this poor kid! I was at my wits end and ready to call child services when this lovely mother decided to pick up and move her kids in the middle of the night - yep, she bailed on her rent. The current building managers really like us, so they showed my fiance pictures of what they left behind. Garbage EVERYWHERE, dirty diapers left behind on the floor, and they couldn't even begin to describe the SMELL. They said they were surprised we couldn't smell it, since we share a wall.

And then... both apartments were vacant again. It was nice. Someone quiet moved in next door - a single guy with not much of a social life.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2013