My four year old daughter fell on a sturdy wood box and appeared okay until I noticed blood in her underwear...

She was at a baby shower with me and she was dancing next to a very sturdy box (not sure what it was made of) and she fell backward right smack dab on the corner of the dang thing and it even ripped her little tights.

I ran over, grabbed her and asked her if she was okay. She cried for MAYBE a minute and was fine but then about 10 minutes later as she was running around like a loon I noticed she had blood on her pants so I took her to the restroom and nearly fainted when I saw three huge drops of dark red blood on her panties.

I checked her as well as I could (we were in a public restroom) and didn't see any wounds right off but I did see dried blood around her girl parts so I left with her and took her home and called the nurse line through her insurance on the way. I was told that if she didn't bleed excessively, nothing actually penetrated that area and if she wasn't doubled over that she was probably fine but to check for any tearing/scratches/etc and treat that and if it looked horrible to take her in.

I got her home, found the source of the bleeding and it was two scratches right at the opening of her vagina...everything else was intact and looked fine. She had a bruise on her inner thigh from where she hit as well. The bleeding was completely stopped and she was peeing as normal so I applied some A&D with a q tip and she was fine for the night. This morning there's no bleeding or anything but she's complaining of one area of her stomach hurting...I thought she could possibly just want attention but then she said it felt like something was "poking her" in that area of her tummy. I'm taking her to the doctor in 45 minutes.

I'm freaked out and worried about my little girl :( I guess what I'm wanting is some words of encouragement. I'm guessing that because she's been acting fine, peeing like normal and the scratches are nearly healed already that she has no internal injury but this is still very scary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Oct. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

•  "she's been acting fine, peeing like normal and the scratches are nearly healed already"

These are all good signs.  Explain everything carefully to the doctor.  GL!!

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:01 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I'm sure she's fine *as far as the fall was concerned and it probably has nothing to do with her stomach
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:19 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• You did all the right things, Mama. Even very small scratches around the girl parts bleed heavily, and if your daughter was running around and acting goofy, the possibility that she injured her pelvis is pretty slim. Maybe she just strained a muscle in her tummy when she fell. Keep us posted, please. I'm sure she'll be fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Thanks ladies! The doctor told me I did everything right and was happy that we came in just in case. He checked her over and she was giggling when he was checking her tummy so she is clearly not suffering any serious injury :)

Her little tear is almost completely healed up now too :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Yay! Good job Mom.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2013