I cant have anything anymore.

Do any of you moms out there ever feel like you cant have anything with kids around? My sons always find a way to ruin my stuff one way or another, it really upsets me because some of the stuff that I have that I wouldn't think my sons would destroy still seems to get ruined or broken. stuff that I used to have from before I had children like my vanity all the knobs are off and the drawers are always taken out, I dont even keep jewelry in it anymore just in the top part because they cant reach.my dresser has things on it that are decoration and are at the back but they still seem to get my stuff and smash it or I find my stuff all over the house. I hate it mostly my stuff is boxed away and I am just not able to display it or have it anymore because I dont have a place for it. some of that stuff that my sons have destroyed is from my mom and she passed away 4 months ago. my sons are 7 5 and 17 months. Honestly I dont get mad at them, I just am upset that my stuff gets broken or lost and damaged or I just give up and box it away until they get older.

n8nnickmom

Asked by n8nnickmom at 11:03 AM on Oct. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Maybe you need to get mad at them then and lay down the ground rules. How else are they going to learn that this is NOT okay??
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I am sorry about your Mom :( I would box it all up & display it when they are older. I have curio cabinets to display my special items but my kids would never dare to break or disassemble any item in our home. I never moved anything away on coffee tables unless it was glass & it was accidentally tipped etc. Even when we go over peoples homes to visit my kids never touch anything. I taught them from when they started to walk to be careful & have respect for others things. My Son is 7 & the only thing he ever broke & it was accidentally was a Christmas ball that fell off the tree. He was very upset at that too. I think you need to sit the bigger boys down & have a talk & there should be consequences for any damages. Take their things away or privileges.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Maybe you have too much stuff. ;-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• put stuff up out of reach, or away until they are older.
    My kids were pretty destructive too- so, yeah I've felt that way too! I tried to keep stuff tht was really important to me or whatever- put up

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:15 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I put away a lot of my special stuff once my first was mobile. He has autism and didn't learn until he was much older how to treat things gently, but my other 4 sure did! I kept out some non special things they weren't supposed to touch and just kept at it - time out every time they did. It took time but by 2-3, they knew some things were not for touching and not to go in my bedroom without asking. That's off limits. Set down some ground rules about your things!

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I dont have much out really and my son who is age 5 is ADHD and does not behave well for me at all.
    n8nnickmom

Comment by n8nnickmom (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• put it away if its that much of an issue, we have a rule in my house that if we have it out and it gets broken, oh well! Material things can be replaced. If we don't want it broken even by accident then its put away or up here kids cant harm it.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 11:22 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I have sort of make it a habit to keep my kids out of my room unless I am in there most of the time. They need permission from me to go hang out in my room (to watch tv or movies). DD makes a mess of my make up once in a while and she gets talked to by me. She hasn't done that in a while though. If I don't want the kids to play with something, I keep it very out of reach or out of sight. They are old enough to know better at this point though, so I don't worry so much anymore. DD still loves to check out the make up and jewelry though. Since my mom sent her a bunch of old costume jewelry she has left mine alone.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:38 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Anestheticsex said exactly what I was thinking. I have 3 boys, the middle son was diagnosed adhd. However, by age 5 he knew better than to destroy my things. Every now and then things are going to get broken. They're kids, it happens, but if it's a regular problem with the older kids, you may need to rethink what the consequences are for their actions and make sure you enforce the consequences. ADHD is NOT an excuse to misbehave. He may need other outlets for his energy, but he still needs consequences for his behavior. As for toddlers...I definitely kept important things out of reach, and left things in their reach that I could use to teach them to respect other people's property down low.

Good luck mama!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:51 AM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Do you know how to punish your children?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2013