Suggestions on healthy lunches.......

I am trying to eat better. This is what i eat for lunch: Lean cuisines, soup, ham & mustard sandwich. I stay at home so I am just looking for some other options that are healthy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• take what you like and use the healthier versions of them. Like for the ham sandwich, make sure your eating it with a whole grain bread with at least 2g of dietary fiber in each slice, there are even some with 3-4g! Those are even better. That's one tip I can think of right now...
    Anonymous

• You could eat tuna mixed into a salad w/ light or fat-free dressing, or any type of fish, cottage cheese w/ fruit, yogurt w/ fruit. I like to cook a whole chicken and then de-bone it and rip the skin off and then use it throughout the week - throw it in a whole-wheat, low-carb tortilla w/ some salsa - or mix it in a salad, too. If you like those vegetarian burgers, you could cook up one of those w/ some veggies or on a low-fat bun. Boca Vegan ones are good and low in cal/fat. Make an egg-white omelet w/ low fat cheese and veggies. You could also make some hummus and eat that w/ low-fat chips or veggies for a snack.

Don't eat too many of those packaged lunches in one week because they have a lot of sodium, which will cause you to retain water.

That's all I can think of right this second.
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 3:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I make my own soup with skinless chicken and lots of veg. Its low fat, and low cal. I keep lean cuisine on hand for when I dont' have something in the house and they are very tasty, don't make you feel overfull which makes you feel sluggish in the afternoon, and I usually add raw veggies and or an apple for the fiber and to fill me just enough. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Also with the lean cuisines be sure to read the labels on them. While calorie counts may be similiar many of them have such a high amount of white carbs like pasta and rice. Carbs turns to sugar, which turns to fat. Stick with the lean cuisines that have 30 or less carbs per serving. I eat a lot of salads with either grilled chicken, salmon or shrimp in them. I buy expensive but healthy low carb tortillas (the ones I get have 100 calories each and after fiber just 5 grams of carbs) and make wraps or tacos with them. I'll also take salmon or shrimp, toss them in a steamer bag with some veggies and spices and steam them in the microwave. Once in awhile I'll make some whole grain rice too, but I have a half a serving and not a whole serving or that.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Eat a large portion of fruit or even a fruit smoothie. Several pieces of fruit until you dont desire anymore. Then eat a large green salad. I would keep meat out of it..its not only 50% fat even on lean cuts but also excess animal protein can lead to cancer. (See The China Study by T Campbell).

The key thing for health is to keep fat intake down to around 10% of total calories. You will have more energy and it will help with any weight issues. www.fatfreevegan.com has some great recipes.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009