Bullying? Seriously?

Parent Accuses Football Coaches of Bullying After 91-0 Win | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Ben Russell, NBC 5 News

A Western Hills High School parent filed the bullying complaint against Aledo High School coaches after their team defeated the Fort Worth school 91-0 on Friday.

The undefeated Aledo Bearcats have made a habit of soundly defeating their opponents this season. After seven games, the team is outscoring the opposition 485-47.

A Western Hills High School parent filed the bullying complaint after Bearcats defeated the Fort Worth school 91-0 on Friday.

"Never; I've never heard of a bullying report in a football game," Aledo coach Tim Buchanan said Monday.

Buchanan said he started substituting players in the first quarter. He also said the game clock ran continuously starting toward the end of the third quarter.

But when asked why the team did not simply start kneeling the ball -- in effect, stop trying to play the game -- Buchanan was clear in his answer.

"To go out and tell your kids, 'No, I don't want you to play hard, because we're ahead,' that's against every fundamental coaching strategy that you have," he said.

Western Hills head coach John Naylor told NBC DFW after Monday's practice that he disagrees with the parent who claimed that the Aledo coaching staff bullied his players.

The Texas Education Agency defines bullying as:

"Bullying occurs when a person is exposed, repeatedly and over time, to negative actions on the part of one or more other persons, and he or she has difficulty defending himself or herself. Bullying is aggressive behavior that involves unwanted, negative actions. Bullying involves a pattern of behavior repeated over time. Bullying involves an imbalance of power or strength."

The Aledo Independent School District will investigate the complaint against its football coaching staff.

Superintendent Derek Citty said his district will take the complaint just as seriously as it would a complaint that a group of students within the district is picking on a classmate.

Several parents of Western Hills players who attended Friday night's game described the loss as embarrassing. One parent, who declined to speak on the record, said that the Aledo coaches could have made more of an effort to keep the score down.

Buchanan insisted he and his fellow coaches did exactly that.

"In actuality, we probably could have scored a lot more," he said. "We did try to keep it down. I was really fearful that we were going to score 100."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Parent-Accuses-Football-Coaches-of-Bullying-After-91-0-Win-228712141.html

Okay, I'm against bullying as much as the next person, but this seems way over the top to me. What happened to shake it off, better luck next time?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• In our 'Everyone Gets a Trophy' world, what else would you expect? And then we wonder why our youth fall apart at the first sight of failure. They don't know how to react because they have never had to compete and exhibit good sportsmanship. Instead it's all about clapping for the other team, not keeping score and making sure everyone feels special. Everyone wants to feel like they did a good job, but we shouldn't feel like we succeeded when we didn't. Plain and simple, competition drives incentive. Without incentive, why even bother trying? I'm going to get a trophy anyway.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• IDK if its bullying but it sure is piss poor rotten sportsmanship to beat up a team 91-0!!! That coach should be ASHAMED!! And that's coming from someone who has stood on the sidelines working some 200 odd high school varsity football games...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Seriously? That is ridiculous, that is like saying "you played too well, you should have stopped trying". What kind of example is that? That is one person saying "I feel bad about myself because you are better than me at this, and therefore you are wrong". I seriously hope that after "investigating" this whole thing is dropped. Maybe now the other team will practice more.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• 91-0 is most certainly rubbing it in their faces. That score is disgraceful! Any coach in this area that let the score run up like that would not have their job next year!!

So what should he have done? Told them to take a knee every play? Get the ball and just stand still and wait for them to tackle them?

That would be rubbing it in their faces....you're pathetic we're not even going to try, we'll just stand there. He put in his 3rd and 4th string players and kept all the good ones out of the game.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 12:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• 91-0 is pretty damn bad, and it is unsportsmanlike to beat a team THAT badly. but why is it all on the winning coach? couldnt the losing coach have sent a message to the winning coach saying "okay, lets call this to save my guys some embarrassment"? you shouldnt just lay down the game just cause the other team sucks, he put in 2nd and 3rd string guys, he ran the clock out, why shouldn't his players get to keep playing? its not like they were taunting the losing team.

having been on a crappy intramural sorority team, we lost big almost every game in every sport. it's really crushing, but it wouldnt be as bad as knowing the other team feels bad enough by your suckitude that they give up, play easy, or let you score.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Ugh sometimes parents do more harm than good. It causes a huge problem in things like the military where they need discipline and structure. My husband does instructor duty and he's had parents call his command and say he's bullying their kid because he yells at them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• The coach apparently put in his 2nd and 3rd string players and instructed them to run out the clock(according to my husband it means they don't really try to score to much).

The coach of the losing team said it was all fine and that there is a reason that the winning team is #1. One of the fathers of the losing team players said something like "it was fine, his team(his son's) sucks so they won" lol

It is only one parent that is all bent out of shape.

Why should the 2nd and 3rd string players not get a change to give it their all and score?? Just because the other team is losing? They didn't rub it in their faces or anything. It is the way the game goes
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Sounds like a bunch of poor losers, and are desperate to tell everyone it wasn't their kids fault, it was the coaches fault, "the kids are scared, he bullies them!!"
    QuinnMae had it right.."Without incentive, why even bother trying? I'm going to get a trophy anyway...." Good grief..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Sounds like a "damned if you do-damned if you don't" type of situation. Other than ending the game early, which I'm sure both coaches would have to agree upon, that coach did what he could. I sincerely hope that they don't spend too much time investigating a baseless claim.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Did the other coach request that they end the game early? If not, then why aren't the parents pissed at him? I get the sportsmanship. I know how to be a good loser. I was on an all girl soccer team that competed against all boy soccer teams (we were a girl scout team and were only doing so to earn a badge). Every team LOVED to play us because they knew they were guaranteed a win. It sucked to lose every single time. But we went out and tried and gave our best. The other teams were usually pretty nice about their 'win' and didn't make a point to rub it in our face. There was a lot to be said about the kind of coaching and commitment to practice we had. We didn't win, not just because we were all girls competing against boys, but because we didn't have good consistent coaching and we didn't practice enough. Us sucking had nothing to do with the other teams. We didn't earn a win.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2013