Only 33 weeks and I think I'm having contractions but not sure?

Since around 6pm I've been experiencing what I think might be contractions.

This is the best way I can describe them:
My stomach gets this feeling of tightness creeping from the sides to the middle.
Tummy gets very hard for a few seconds and then loosens up.
Sometimes I get a crampy feeling in my back along with it.

This has been happening for the last 4 hours and in the first two hours they came pretty frequently....it was happening probably 6-9 times an hour. Now it has slowed down to maybe four an hour.

Baby is still moving between these feelings. I felt a lot of pressure earlier today as well.

Is this just normal for the end of pregnancy or should I be concerned?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Sounds like braxton-hicks contractions. They're your body's way of getting ready for the real thing. If they were real contractions, they'd be getting closer together and stronger, not tapering off.

You can ALWAYS call the on-call doc/nurse hotline if you're not sure.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Sounds like Braxton hicks contractions. If they were coming ever 5-8 minutes then I'd go in but if not I'd just relax and take it easy.
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 10:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Be sure you're drinking enough water, since being slightly dehydrated can bring on false contractions. Lie down on your left side and see if that helps.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Braxton Hicks.... Your body is starting to warm up for the great adventure ahead.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• I gotta say that even if you think they are Braxton Hicks... You should still call your doctor. 33 weeks is too early to take the chance that it is not the real thing. Then you will at least feel better about it. The doctor gets calls like this all the time, so don't worry about bothering him.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• You should ALWAYS report things like this to your healthcare provider. Even if they are Braxton hicks. The last thing you want is a premature baby.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Any update?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:26 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• They slowed down after a few hours and stopped. Then started up again right after work tonight. I'll mention it to my doctor at my next appointment that is coming up or call if they get more intense.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• You really should call now. My preterm labor contractions were barely noticeable. Had I waited to see if they went away, I would have delivered Your doctor needs to know about the contractions now and let him decide what he's like for you to do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2013