Can a 2 year old have insomnia???

My boyfriend and I live together, we have a 6 year old son together and he has a 2 year old girl with someone else (we were split then got back together). The kids share a room. Only problem is, my son needs the tv on (i know, it's my fault), and she isn't used to having a tv when she goes to bed. If cartoons are on she'll stay in bed and watch it until very late at night. (im talking 12-1am), so I tried changing the channel to something boring with the volume very low, but she'll just get out of bed and play with toys, get into things etc. Im constantly telling her she needs to stay in bed and sleep but it just doesnt happen. I've tried leaving the tv off but my son is terrified of the dark, even with a night light. Oh, and she gets naps SOMETIMES (normally just at the babysitter). I realized that if I give her a nap she'll be up even later though. I don't know what to do, both the kids wake up at the same time and my son has no problem falling asleep. What could be the problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get a 3 bedroom apartment

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Turn off the TV. I'm nearly 40 and can't sleep with the TV on.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• Get that TV out of the room, it's the problem. Your son WILL adjust to life without a TV in his room, and the little girl will go back to a more normal sleep schedule. If it's the silence that is bothering your son, get him a radio and play soothing music for him.

That little girl does not have insomnia, she's being overstimulated at night and is unable to sleep because she's too wound up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• You need to break your sons tv addiction, it's not healthy. Try soft music, a dream light, a nightlight that projects a scene on the wall, etc. having the tv on all night is not a good thing.

Answer by missanc at 10:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2013

• If you won't remove the tv, a lot of them have a sleep mode where the set will turn off in 30 mins.

But really, it needs to go.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• ^^^^Exactly what all the above ladies said...He behavior will start to show the lack of sleep.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• TV/computers etc keep parts of the brain active. She can't fall asleep, even if she wants to, because of the tv. My twins used to need the tv on and when we moved into this apartment full time with my husband I said no thats it no more tv and we took the tv out of their room and at first it was hard but they got used to it and don't need a tv anymore. I say break the babies habit now for both of the kids sake
    AllyB_

Answer by AllyB_ at 1:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2013