Damn dog never wants to come inside when I call her!!!!

My dog is a year old, and we have taught her to stay in the yard ever since she was tiny (our yard is not fenced in), but every time I let her out, she will NOT listen when I call her to come in. I mean yeah she stays in the yard, but I can't just go inside and leave her out there when we have no fence around our yard. I bribed her with treats for a while and it worked great, but now it seems to be getting old to her. Also, for some reason, she NEVER goes potty when we go on a walk (maybe she thinks our yard is the only place she can go?)... so putting her on a leash doesn't work. And I really don't have the money for obedient school right now. Any suggestions here???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Pets

• Take her out in the yard on a leash for a while. Don't let her have freedom til she learns to come when you call her. Start while she's on the leash. Pat your leg and call her in a friendly way, then praise her up when she comes to you. Maybe give her a piece of dog food when she comes some of the time, but not every time, usually jst heap on the praise. Call her in the house, and praise her up when she comes. Eventually as she gets used to it, start calling her from farther away, and when she's really got the hang of it, try it from the yard again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• We live in the country, and never let ours run without us outside with them, and we always take them out on a lead when they're peeing/pooping.

The one time I let our oldest dog out, he saw a rabbit, went right through our neighbors barb wire fence and split his chest open through to the muscle. Needless to say, we were at the Vet, and it was after midnight. There are too many risks when they're out on their own.
    Take her out on a lead all the time. If you go on regular walks, then that should be enough exercise. If you want to let her run, stay out with her. Maybe get a kong toy, put peanut butter in it, and play fetch.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Look online for obedience tips.
    Why would she come when the tone I hear is impatience? I also hear the person who fallows what she leads them to do rather than being the leader. If you want to lead you must act like a leader.
    Arm yourself with baggies and good shoes and take her on a walk, as long as it takes. Tell her to go potty (or whatever) and praise her when she does.
    My dogs are not the best trained but the one word they never disobey is NOW. No matter what I say If I say now, there is no monkey business. The tone and my body attitude clearly states that I am the alpha. End of discussion.

If you can train her to stay in the yard you can do this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I agree with Dardenella. The dog isn't seeing you as the pack leader or at least someone higher then her lol

I grew up with a Newfoundland and Wolf Hybrid, being the lead or dominate to her was very important as she was easily stronger then me and could easily do damage if she was to bite(never did though). We never had a fenced in yard.

Do what Dardenella has suggested.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• If you want her to start going potty with the leash on when you let her out in the yard let her drag the leash. Also you need to start working on her recall. When I am working with my dogs I will go to every door the leads to the outdoors and call my dogs (by their names). When I see them coming I will give the come command because I do not want them to think come means something else. I will also work with them outside on a long leash ( I like using a 50ft) so that they have not choose but to come to me and they can't take off. My Aussie liked to play catch me if you can. She would come to the door and take off when I reached for her. So I worked on grabbing the collar. And when she would take off I would ignore her. My other dog would come in and I would walk away. One thing I do with the recall is use a treat that they ONLY get for this exercise. I use Chicken Nuggets because I want it to be worth it to them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2013

• All of the suggestions made are great. I have done the taking on walks as long as it takes for them to go potty - but it can be a battle of the wills. How long do you have to walk or how long can your legs take walking!? I worked on the recall with my dogs until they would come when I called them, and kept a lead on them that they would drag when they were outside until I knew they would come(even though I have a fenced yard). I also really like KyliesMom5 's suggestion about using a special treat that they only get for the recall exercise. I wish I would have thought of that!
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 10:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• A long leash attached to the ground
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:32 AM on Oct. 28, 2013