2 Sister Guinea Pigs Died Together

My 2 sister guinea pigs just died yesterday and I don't know why. They were together since birth, always got along. Had hideys, hay, fleece floors, fresh water, veggies, some fruit, blankets to snuggle in, anything I read they should have. I noticed they stopped drinking and didn't squeal for their dinner and when I went to check, they were cuddled together under a blanket, dead. What could have happened and why did they die together?

WhyPiggy

Asked by WhyPiggy at 8:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Pets

• How old? They only live 3-5 years

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• They were only about a year old. Is it normal for them to die together?
    WhyPiggy

Comment by WhyPiggy (original poster) at 8:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Guinea pigs are notorious for catching things (this is one of the reason they're used in labs...) so the chances are that there was a virus going round and if one caught it then so did the other.

I'm really sorry this happened. It's hard when one animal dies, it's awful when there are two.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 8:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• :( that's sad. I hope their food wasn't tainted or something. Guinea pigs are also notorious for not showing signs of really being sick until it's nearly too late.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• hugs Aww, that's so sad.  Like the others have said, they were both probably sick.  At least you can have some comfort in knowing they passed together.   It sounds like you took good care of them.  Sorry for your loss.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Thanks guys. It is sad and just so weird. But, yes, it makes me feel better knowing they held each other.
    WhyPiggy

Comment by WhyPiggy (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Aw, it's sad, but kind of sweet that they cuddled up together. I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard to lose pets.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I really hope you stick around to answer the pregnancy and promiscuous sex questions. Your screen name will add such joy to that section.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• The only way to know is to have your vet do autopsies. Yes they do do them but they are expensive.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I wondered about autopsies...too late though. The kids made them a nice box and we put them in it, cuddled how we found them, and had a burial last night.
    WhyPiggy

Comment by WhyPiggy (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2013