Pope Francis called right-wing Christian fundamentalism a sickness

“In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid. And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements. The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people. But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

Video here

Is it enough to get people to listen?  Obviously, he won't have as much sway with evangelicals as Catholics, but a huge portion of the right wing social activist Republican/Tea Party movement is Catholic.  A huge portion of the anti-birth control coverage law suits are from Catholics.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I don't see where he used right wing or fundamentalism anywhere there.

I think it's a case of wishful thinking on your part.
    Don't you?
    Hows about you get the story straight?
    cathygymboree

Answer by cathygymboree at 10:07 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

Ok, we'll use the small words

Pope attacks global economics for worshipping 'god of money

The Church as Field Hospital

When he addresses "ideology" he is using consistent terminolgy from every address he's made talking about how people are focusing too much on politics.  Perhaps you simply haven't been paying attention?  Might want to get your story straight.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• It's so cute when "newbies" get all butthurt over shit like this. It's also cute when they make themselves look stupid.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• To answer the question, it would be nice to see the Church turn toward the kind of Catholicism I was taught. Maybe this pope can do that... idk, I guess time will tell.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• It's also cute when they make themselves look stupid.

I don't think she liked being ignored over in CE&HT. Dunno why, she swears Billy Graham already taught her all this (even as she says that's not what's being said).
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I'm not someone who believes that Jesus ever really existed but, if you look at the core of his supposed teachings, they are liberal in nature Anon.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• I like this guy. He has common sense. I'm not sure one sensible head, even if it's on the shoulders of the Pope, can turn the Catholic Church. But I hope he plants some seeds of change, at least.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• Sorry np if that makes your question poof.......as i may poof with it too.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• And i guess some people dont like to get a smack down like that. The truth hurts.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2013

• You have statistics on the tea party stuff? Anti abortion I will buy without the statistics.
    Obviously anyone who is not Catholic will not care what he has to say as far as their beliefs. They may listen to him as a man with a public voice but not as their political leader.
    As with any group (Catholics in this case) some will be influenced and some will not. But as with ant disease it doesn't just magically disappear, it will take time and effort on the part of those afflicted. We can pray for them but it will mean serious changes of heart.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2013